From: "Frank Christiny" <fchristiny@houston.rr.com>
Subject: Ada tasks: processes or threads
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 02:35:54 GMT
Date: 2002-03-13T02:35:54+00:00	[thread overview]

Dear All,

      Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me, from a cursory
   research on the subject, that it depends entirely on the compiler, not
   the programmer, as to whether Ada tasks are spawned as child
   processes or as threads.  For example, DEC's Ada 3.5 for OpenVMS
   seems to be of the latter persuasion while OC Systems' PowerAda
   3.1 for AIX does the former.  Am I in the right track?

       What I am trying to discern is whether my version of Ada95,
   PowerAda 3.1, can do multithreading in the multithreaded
   environment of AIX if I so choose to or am I stuck with spawns
   only?  If I need to get me some special libraries in order to create
   threads, which are they and where do I find them?

Thanks!
--
Frank Christiny
Houston, TX