From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
Subject: Re: Debugger for GNAT
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:11:53 -0600
Date: 2005-11-18T08:11:53-06:00	[thread overview]

markp wrote:
> We are currently using the GPS debugger for our GNAT Ada applications.
> We feel it is not a very robust debugger, although that could be our
> limited experience with it. For example, we would to be able to break
> on any exceptions and view the offending line in the debugger and trace
> to the source. Also, we would like to be able to set breakpoints in
> tasks while the program is running without stopping everything, i.e.
> stopping a single task.
>
> Are there any other debuggers out the to debug our GNAT Ada?

GPS is built around gdb, and while I still use the old gvd interface for
3.15p, I know you can certainly set a breakpoint on any or all
user-defined and predefined exceptions and trace them back to the
source.  At the very least set a breakpoint on all exceptions (the gdb
command is "b except" and when it breaks, go up the call stack to get
back to the offending line of your code.

I'm hard pressed to see how one could break on a task and provide an
interactive interface to the user, while allowing the rest of the
program to continue running.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but it
sure looks tricky.

I think it would behoove y'all to increase your limited experience with
the debugger :-)

Ask how to do things here, or over on the GPS mailing list, and you
should find advice and suggestions readily available.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out