From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is this Forum Moderated?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 06:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-05-20T06:57:10-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 5:46:05 AM UTC-6, pat...@spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:
> As is plain to see, the quality of the posting in this forum are at an all time low.
>
> Is this forum even moderated?

I don't think it is... at all.

> I spend a lot of my time with the GnuCOBOL project and I love it. It's well moderated and very friendly. The language is also super easy to interface with Ada, much more so than C.

I have had the idea, for a while, that banks & insurance companies & other financial institutions could see a lot of improvement WRT modernization with mixed Ada/COBOL programs; in particular doing the report-generation in COBOL and the main "business logic" in Ada (with heavy usage of types to ensure correctness) instead of the [seemingly] more popular "PORT IT TO JAVA" that I've seen some people advocate.

What are your thoughts?

> There are some super awesome people on this list but it's quickly becoming close to unuseable.

You know, I think there's only two posters [at least that spring to mind] which vastly detract: the "I do Delphi and post random shit"-guy and the "Can Ada/GNOGA/whatever make me money without me having to learn or do anything"-guy.

> Would it also make sense to copy over the FSF version and start some community development of it? There seems to be a fair amount of grumbling about Adacore these days.

Honestly, I'd rather do a fresh project rather than deal with having to fix up someone else's mess (esp WRT licensing) -- that's why I started Byron.

> Just a thought... I can't actually help out, I am spread way too thin right now.

Not a problem.
But if you know anybody who would be interested, don't hesitate to send them my way... it would probably be a lot easier if there were other people involved in Byron.

> Best of luck and special thanks to Dmitry, Ludovic, Jacob, Luke, Simon, Randy, J-P, Bjorn, Brian, Shark8, Mike, Tero and a dozen others for all the support over the years

You're quite welcome.