From: Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgrass@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: N best things about Ada?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-07-08T18:23:18-07:00	[thread overview]

On Jul 8, 7:52 pm, use...@scriptoriumdesigns.com wrote:
> Serious question:  What do you consider the N best things / strong
> points / biggest benefits of using Ada?  I'm asking as part of my case-
> building for using Ada at work.  Of course I have my own list, but I
> don't have anywhere near the Ada experience of most of you folks.
>
> Thanks.

My short list:

 1. Packages as organizational units
 2. Separation of specification from implementation (body)
 3. Subtype ranges
 4. Representation clauses for precise data representation (e.g., for
hardware interfacing)
 5. Case insensitivity (i.e., "case sensitivity considered harmful")
 6. Great readability (e.g., begin/end instead of curly braces)
 7. Underscores allowed in numeric literals (e.g.,
24_3345.7689_3345_8807)
 8. A good (well thought out and reviewed) language standard
 9. The GNAT compiler's great error and warning messages.
10. The availability of SPARK when very high (safe & secure) assurance
is needed.

- Britt