* Re: Interfacing Ada code to Java
@ 2005-03-21  3:31 Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2005-03-21  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Comp. Lang. Ada

   Why not switch to the Microsoft version of Java (J#) and use A#?
   Bob Leif
   Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:55:28 GMT
   From: "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>
   Subject: Re: Interfacing Ada code to Java - resources and hints
   To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

   On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:11:48 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

   > "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" writes:
   >> In case it's not clear, I'm hoping to use the normal GNAT compilation
   >> system to build an Ada program (Ada "main") which calls some
   >> code written in Java.  Preferably I'd end up with a single executable
   >> without bringing in loads of additional libraries and runtime files.
   >
   > Look at Cafe1815: http://www.acenet.com.au/~gbull/
   >
   > I used in in the past to call an Ada shared library from a Java
   > program.  The reverse is also possible.  Does this help?

   Conceptually, this looks very interesting.  But it says it only
   works with JDK 1.2, and is over five years old.  My best bet
   for for this project now seems to be to port the MS Visual C++
   code to g++ and call that using a normal Ada binding.
   --
   Adrian

* Re: Interfacing Ada code to Java
@ 2005-03-21 20:28 ` Fabio Caprarella
From: Fabio Caprarella @ 2005-03-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif ha scritto:
>    Why not switch to the Microsoft version of Java (J#) and use A#?
>    Bob Leif
>    Message: 8
>    Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:55:28 GMT
>    From: "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>
>    Subject: Re: Interfacing Ada code to Java - resources and hints
>    To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
>
>    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:11:48 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>    > "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" writes:
>    >> In case it's not clear, I'm hoping to use the normal GNAT compilation
>    >> system to build an Ada program (Ada "main") which calls some
>    >> code written in Java.  Preferably I'd end up with a single executable
>    >> without bringing in loads of additional libraries and runtime files.
>    >
>    > Look at Cafe1815: http://www.acenet.com.au/~gbull/
>    >
>    > I used in in the past to call an Ada shared library from a Java
>    > program.  The reverse is also possible.  Does this help?
>
>    Conceptually, this looks very interesting.  But it says it only
>    works with JDK 1.2, and is over five years old.  My best bet
>    for for this project now seems to be to port the MS Visual C++
>    code to g++ and call that using a normal Ada binding.
>    --
>    Adrian

Where I can find information on A#?
Is there an official release from microsoft or is it indipendent from it?

* Re: Interfacing Ada code to Java
@ 2005-03-22 13:51   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2005-03-22 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabio Caprarella wrote:

> Where I can find information on A#?

Information is supposed to be at
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html, but that link
(along with others around the site) seems to be broken at the moment.
You can Google for "Ada for .Net" and look at the cached page if the
link stays broken.

> Is there an official release from microsoft or is it indipendent from it?

According to an ad in the latest issue of "Ada Letters", A# is being
welcomed into the Visual Studio .Net 2005 family (or something like
that, I'm recalling it from memory).

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com