* new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 11:45 Georg Bauhaus
       [not found] ` <a8e092df629v4da3ig07fa8e7vr0c7iirf@4ax.com>
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-06-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi, a message has just been distributed to the AdaCore mailing
list insiders that a new public edition of GNAT is available.
The libre server is currently spitting few bytes/s only.

Georg

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 15:21 ` Anh Vo
       [not found] ` <a8e092df629v4da3ig07fa8e7vr0c7iirf@4ax.com>
From: Anh Vo @ 2006-06-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> hi, a message has just been distributed to the AdaCore mailing
> list insiders that a new public edition of GNAT is available.
> The libre server is currently spitting few bytes/s only.

It happens to me, too.

AV

* Re: new GNAT
       [not found] ` <a8e092df629v4da3ig07fa8e7vr0c7iirf@4ax.com>
@ 2006-06-14 17:06   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
       [not found]     ` <ibi0921i9olrssor0u27uee9pd8r5s6r8r@4ax.com>
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-06-14 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:51:31 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:45:48 +0200, Georg Bauhaus
> <bauhaus@futureapps.de> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>
>> The libre server is currently spitting few bytes/s only.
>>
> 	You had to remind me, didn't you... The download manager in Firefox
> is claiming 8.5KB/sec, but I don't believe that... I almost believe the
> 3hour remaining download time estimate...

Could anybody mirror it?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 17:32   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2006-06-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote:
> Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> > hi, a message has just been distributed to the AdaCore mailing
> > list insiders that a new public edition of GNAT is available.
> > The libre server is currently spitting few bytes/s only.
>
> It happens to me, too.
>
> AV

I just got in touch with Jamie Ayre of AdaCore. This problem is the
result of so many people downloading it. Furthermore, AdaCore has
increased the bandwidth. Obviously, it is not enough.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 18:27     ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2006-06-14 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Look on the bright side, a lot of people are interested in Ada.
/Per

@ 2006-06-14 19:34       ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2006-06-14 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are absolutely right. For me I am very eager to get my hand on it
as soon as possible since I have been expecting it for quite a while
:-)

@ 2006-06-14 20:02         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo writes:
> You are absolutely right. For me I am very eager to get my hand on it
> as soon as possible since I have been expecting it for quite a while
> :-)

But it only includes GPS 3.1.3, and I've seen you report problems with
4.0.0w which you get from CVS :)

Georg, you should not have advertised the new release so
widely... just yet :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: new GNAT
       [not found]     ` <ibi0921i9olrssor0u27uee9pd8r5s6r8r@4ax.com>
@ 2006-06-14 20:51       ` Vincent Smeets
From: Vincent Smeets @ 2006-06-14 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:06:22 +0200, "Dmitry A. Kazakov"
> <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>

>>Could anybody mirror it?
>

> 	Probably not easily... Given that AdaCore wants a registered user to
> get to the download page... and then the download is a customized TAR
> file based upon what parts a user selects to have downloaded -- rather
> than individual downloads for each item.
>
> 	<2 hours to go>

You do not have to select the components and download everything as a
tar file. On the page where you select the components for the tar file,
you can just click on the separate filenames. They are all hyperlinked.
This way, you can download every file separately.

I do not think that for every download a tar file is created and made
available for download. They just transmit a tar-header in front of
every selected file, then send the file itself and at the end an
tar-trailer. That looks to the client (us) as one big tar file.

I can't (and will not) give a way around the user registration. In case
AdaCore requires a registrated user for every download, then we should
accept that. If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he
should contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.

Regards,
Vincent Smeets

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 22:36           ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2006-06-14 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Anh Vo writes:
> > You are absolutely right. For me I am very eager to get my hand on it
> > as soon as possible since I have been expecting it for quite a while
> > :-)
>
> But it only includes GPS 3.1.3, and I've seen you report problems with
> 4.0.0w which you get from CVS :)
>
> Georg, you should not have advertised the new release so
> widely... just yet :)

GNAT is the one I am after. Furthermore, I can live with older version
of GPS.

AV

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 22:48         ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-06-14 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Smeets wrote:
> If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he
> should contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.

There's no need to contact them about that. The conditions for
redistribution are stated very clearly in the General Public License.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-14 23:46           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-06-14 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 22:02 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Georg, you should not have advertised the new release so
> widely... just yet :)

That may have been the intent of the warning of bytes/s dropping
from libre. Or to mention that they no longer announce on usenet.

Or maybe to see whether their web server meets typical
Ada requirements under heavy load. Who knows whether behind
the Apache some AWS is serving tars? PHP, hmmm. Ah,
and the server is run on FreeBSD, so that could mean they have
an up-to-date GNAT for FreeBSD. Maybe not.

Rush hour effects :-)

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-15  5:27             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-15  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 22:02 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> Georg, you should not have advertised the new release so
>> widely... just yet :)
>
> That may have been the intent of the warning of bytes/s dropping
> from libre. Or to mention that they no longer announce on usenet.
>
> Or maybe to see whether their web server meets typical
> Ada requirements under heavy load. Who knows whether behind
> the Apache some AWS is serving tars? PHP, hmmm. Ah,
> and the server is run on FreeBSD, so that could mean they have
> an up-to-date GNAT for FreeBSD. Maybe not.
>
> Rush hour effects :-)

Yes, it is AWS, Thomas Quinot said that to me at FOSDEM.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-15  7:15               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-15  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> Yes, it is AWS, Thomas Quinot said that to me at FOSDEM.

Or maybe I'm confused and it is only the GNAT Tracket that is made with
AWS. I'm not sure anymore.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-15  7:19           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-06-15  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:48:25 GMT, Bj�rn Persson wrote:

> Vincent Smeets wrote:
>> If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he
>> should contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.
>
> There's no need to contact them about that. The conditions for
> redistribution are stated very clearly in the General Public License.

After all, I suppose, there isn't that many Ada users over the world. I bet
AdaCore knows about most of us. (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-15  7:39               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-15  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-06-15 18:51           ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:

> Vincent Smeets wrote:
> > If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he should
> > contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.
>
> There's no need to contact them about that. The conditions for
> redistribution are stated very clearly in the General Public License.

I also thought so. But what really confuses me is the statement in the
FreeBSD ports description:

   "Because of licensing and registration restrictions, you must fetch
   the\n source distribution manually. Please access
   http://libre.adacore.com/\n with a web browser, register (it's
   free), and log in (...)"

Somebody is mightily confused there.

Regards - Markus

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-23  7:18           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-06-23  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjï¿œrn Persson wrote:

> Vincent Smeets wrote:
>> If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he
>> should contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.
>
> There's no need to contact them about that. The conditions for
> redistribution are stated very clearly in the General Public License.

But does the GPL apply only to the source packages and binaries you have
created yourself?

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-23  9:06             ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-23  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Bj�rn Persson wrote:
>
> > Vincent Smeets wrote:
> >> If someone wants to mirror the AdaCore software, then he
> >> should contact AdaCore about the conditions and possibilities.

Well, the libre site says:

  The GNAT GPL Edition is free of charge and requires a brief sign-up
  process.

(FUD: The software doesn't require that. ACT requires it for the
service to download GPL GNAT, but the software doesn't. A pity that
the FreeBSD gnat maintainers fell for it and _didn't_ include GNAT
source in the free bsd port port, thus making the process to install
the port rather manual and painful).

  The GNAT GPL Edition is licensed for Free Software development and
  is subject to the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). For
  questions contact us at gnat-gpl@adacore.com and read the GPL FAQ.

Which should be enough concerning the conditions and possibilities. :-]

> > There's no need to contact them about that. The conditions for
> > redistribution are stated very clearly in the General Public License.
>
> But does the GPL apply only to the source packages and binaries you have
> created yourself?

No. It applies to the stuff distributed by ACT. IANAL but AFAIK
everybody could just mirror the files from ACT. I wouldn't recommend
it though, since in the GNAT-2006 release they have stripped the
linking exception from the source files even if they didn't change
anything (or hardly anything, see florist as an example). One is
probably better off distributing florist-3.15p than the
florist-gpl-2006 from the ACT site.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-23 10:52             ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-06-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> But does the GPL apply only to the source packages and binaries you have
> created yourself?

I'll have to ask you to rephrase that question. Whichever way I
interpret it I'm pretty sure you know the answer already, so obviously I
don't understand what you're after. Anyway, how the GPL applies to what
I've created isn't relevant to mirroring.

--
Bjï¿œrn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-23 20:07               ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-06-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjï¿œrn Persson wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:

>> But does the GPL apply only to the source packages and binaries you have
>> created yourself?
>
> I'll have to ask you to rephrase that question. Whichever way I
> interpret it I'm pretty sure you know the answer already, so obviously I
> don't understand what you're after. Anyway, how the GPL applies to what
> I've created isn't relevant to mirroring.

At libre there are both binary and source distributions. Now to say it the
other way round: I belive it is quite possible to disallow mirroring the
binary distribution created from GPL sources.

Martin
--

@ 2006-06-24 10:58                 ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-24 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Bj�rn Persson wrote:
>
> > Martin Krischik wrote:
>
> >> But does the GPL apply only to the source packages and binaries you have
> >> created yourself?
> >
> > I'll have to ask you to rephrase that question. Whichever way I
> > interpret it I'm pretty sure you know the answer already, so obviously I
> > don't understand what you're after. Anyway, how the GPL applies to what
> > I've created isn't relevant to mirroring.
>
> At libre there are both binary and source distributions. Now to say it the
> other way round: I belive it is quite possible to disallow mirroring the
> binary distribution created from GPL sources.

I don't think so. ACT distributed the files to me under the GPL and
the GPL says

 "You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
  under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
  Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
  following (...)"

On should note, that there are actually (in my reading) two "works"
that must be distinguised here: The sources (which is one work) and
the the excutables which are a derived work (derived from the sources)
but which per GPL must be accompanied by the sources.

IANAL, IANAL, IANAL.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-24 11:35               ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-06-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold wrote:

> No. It applies to the stuff distributed by ACT. IANAL but AFAIK
> everybody could just mirror the files from ACT. I wouldn't recommend
> it though, since in the GNAT-2006 release they have stripped the
> linking exception from the source files even if they didn't change
> anything (or hardly anything, see florist as an example). One is
> probably better off distributing florist-3.15p than the
> florist-gpl-2006 from the ACT site.
>

> Regards -- Markus

Or, one can use the florist from gnuada.sf.net. This is based on the
last 3.15p florist with updates to keep it compiling with recent
versions of GCC from the FSF tree. The updates (at least the ones I did)
were not done by backporting the GPL version but were just done by
looking at why the files did not compile and looking at the recent GCC
sources.

Of course, given the lack of a complete test suite, it is certainly
still possible that this was done incorrectly..... But it is another
option if you can't go full GPL but aren't doing something that is real
enough to require a GNATPro release.

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-24 12:45                 ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-24 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com> writes:

> M E Leypold wrote:
>
> > No. It applies to the stuff distributed by ACT. IANAL but AFAIK
> > everybody could just mirror the files from ACT. I wouldn't recommend
> > it though, since in the GNAT-2006 release they have stripped the
> > linking exception from the source files even if they didn't change
> > anything (or hardly anything, see florist as an example). One is
> > probably better off distributing florist-3.15p than the
> > florist-gpl-2006 from the ACT site.
> > Regards -- Markus
> >

> Or, one can use the florist from gnuada.sf.net. This is based on the

Exactly my point. Why mirror the GPL-forced version with minor
functionality patches if one can have the GMPGPLed version.

> last 3.15p florist with updates to keep it compiling with recent

Hm. I see 3.15p source only. Are the updates in CVS?

> Of course, given the lack of a complete test suite, it is certainly

What about the suite at http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/florist.html?

Regards -- Markus

* Re: new GNAT
@ 2006-06-24 14:28                 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-06-24 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> I belive it is quite possible to disallow mirroring the
> binary distribution created from GPL sources.

I don't see how that would be possible. The GPL applies to the binary
code too, and it was very carefully written to make sure that you can
always give out what you have received.

Well, okay, you're not allowed to mirror *only* binaries. If you offer
binaries then you have to offer source code as well.