From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: List of Negative Language rules?
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 07:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-08-05T07:39:42-07:00	[thread overview]

This post is not a complaint and I hope it won't generate complaints about the language, it is a request for help in organizing language constructs.

Ada is a feature rich language but as we know it is neither trivial to learn or even more so,  trivial to write a compiler for.

One thing I am having a hard time with are all the negative rules. I am NOT complaining about any of these but some very simple examples:

Pre-Ada 2012 functions cannot take in parameters
Functions cannot return concurrent types
Tasks cannot return access parameters
etc

Again, I am not complaining, I am sure that all these sorts of rules have logical reasons(some of which I already know about) but my concern is how many there are. I am just about finished the Barnes Ada 2005 book. I didn't count but I betting there could be 100 of these sorts of rules though out the book.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a list of negative language rules? If not I could try to re-read the book and compile a list. I think it would make for a good cheat sheet to paste to the wall to avoid programming errors.