* aws, gnoga or raw html?
@ 2015-02-05 21:59 Leo Brewin
From: Leo Brewin @ 2015-02-05 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

Can I ask your advice on setting up a new web site? It's a little bit off
topic so my apologies in advance.

I have a very simple web site http://users.monash.edu/~leo/ written entirely
in HTML and CSS. I know I could use AWS and Gnoga to rebuild my website but
is this a crazy thing to do? What do I gain by using AWS or Gnoga? What do I
lose?

The bigger picture is that I have another web site
(http://www2.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/ASGRG/) in mind for rebuilding. It's our
professional society's web page that contains newsletters, conference
details, scientific papers etc. I'd like to add credit card or paypal
options for members to pay membership and conference dues. This rebuild will
be more work so I want to use my own web site as a test case. So again the
question for me is -- Is AWS or Gnoga a good match for such a website?

Cheers, Leo

* Re: aws, gnoga or raw html?
@ 2015-02-05 22:23 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

AWS would just be another web server. You would server the same pages and you would use Ada instead of say PHP or Python.

Gnoga is a completely different concept. You build an application as you would a desktop application accept it is running on the web. You could use Gnoga in the same way as AWS as well since it has a built in Web server, etc.

I recently added (as in last night) to Gnoga the ability to auto fall back to http long polling and Ajax when Websockets are not available. What that means is that you won't have to worry about firewall issues, etc. and use a Gnoga application for "website" development is very reasonable.

So to answer, if you plan on doing anything more than server static pages or occasional form submissions, Gnoga is probably the best option today (in any language) if you want anything interactive.

David Botton

* Re: aws, gnoga or raw html?
@ 2015-02-06  2:44   ` johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2015-02-06  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:23:39 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> AWS would just be another web server. You would server the same pages and you would use Ada instead of say PHP or Python.
>
> Gnoga is a completely different concept. You build an application as you would a desktop application accept it is running on the web. You could use Gnoga in the same way as AWS as well since it has a built in Web server, etc.
>
> I recently added (as in last night) to Gnoga the ability to auto fall back to http long polling and Ajax when Websockets are not available. What that means is that you won't have to worry about firewall issues, etc. and use a Gnoga application for "website" development is very reasonable.
>
> So to answer, if you plan on doing anything more than server static pages or occasional form submissions, Gnoga is probably the best option today (in any language) if you want anything interactive.
>
> David Botton

really?

awesome!

concurrency is good?  happstack lisp-coreserver and smalltalk, and swi prolog have solutions that include prevalyer.org style in memory with updae log on disk  database, eg an in ram store or with swi-prolog a save every 5min serialization scheme,

would gnoga use postgrresql ? or is there a ada version of www.prevayler.org for the db part?

or?

I am intrigued by the idea of gui  and then abstract away web desktop etc....but not sure how that works....

mojolicious and aoslerver rails and django are the typical lamp stack things, how does gnofa compare?

why would you prefer it to all those?

can ada keep development pace quick like those?

I am no progrmaming expert but want to learn to code websites....and gnoga seems a interesting option...

tell us more!

will there be a wikibook?

haskell for example has one to learn haskell....

I think  I have a copy of the craft of ada or some book from 2006 that was reccomened somewhere to me..

* Re: aws, gnoga or raw html?
@ 2015-02-06  7:25     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-02-06  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> really?
>
> awesome!

Ya, it is :) and that it is from the ground up Ada even more awesome :)

> concurrency is good?

Gnoga is built from the ground up as a concurrent system. Events, properties, methods, etc. everything is concurrent, not serialized.

> would gnoga use postgrresql ? or is there a ada version of www.prevayler.org for the db part?

Gnoga comes with database bindings for SqlLite3 and MySQL, it uses Simple Components which includes ODBC that can be easily used for PostgreSQL or any other database that provides an ODBC driver.

Gnoga is Ada, so you can use any other Ada bindings you want for database, you are not not limited to those.

Interestingly since Gnoga gives you tools for binding to anything in JavaScript you can easily use JS Apis or building bindings to them from Ada easily. So that more or less opens the door to just about everything.

You just program naturally as you would for a desktop app. Look at http://gnoga.com there is a user guide, etc.

> mojolicious and aoslerver rails and django are the typical lamp stack things, how does gnofa compare?

They all just try to make the web more complicated :) Gnoga makes it more simple.

> why would you prefer it to all those?

Simplicity.

function On_Click (Object : in out Base_Type'Class) is
begin
   Gnoga.Log ("I was clicked");
end On_Click;

declare
   My_Button : Button_Type;
begin
   My_Button.Create (My_View, "Push Me");
   My_Botton.On_Click_Handler (On_Click'Access);
end;

It's as simple as that. No JavaScript needed, No HTML, (although you can certainly layout a page and bind to controls in the html if you really wanted, etc), no need for worrying about state, etc.

You could even write a concurrent task in Ada that kept updating the color of the button or the text, etc. No need to think about anything Webby.

> can ada keep development pace quick like those?

Ada is mature and the current gcc/ada implementation is solid.

So the question can not be if Ada will keep pace, it is already there.

As for will there be "interfaces" to modern tech. Gnoga insures that, and for a long time to come, as you can leverage all client side web tech with it and on the server side of course if you can get to it with C you can get to it with Ada.

> I am no progrmaming expert but want to learn to code websites....and gnoga seems a interesting option...

Gnoga is about writing software with a web accessible UI. If you want to learn HTML, do that, if you want to engineer an application you use Ada and Gnoga.

There is a user guide on http://gnoga.com 1.1 will be along soon as well with more updates to the user guide. I've already started on an IDE, etc.

> I think  I have a copy of the craft of ada or some book from 2006 that was reccomened somewhere to me..

Go to http://GetAdaNow.com you can download from there an excellent book Ada Distilled there.

David Botton

* Re: aws, gnoga or raw html?
@ 2015-02-08 22:21   ` Leo Brewin
From: Leo Brewin @ 2015-02-08 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 9:23:39 AM UTC+11, David Botton wrote:
> AWS would just be another web server. You would server the same pages and you would use Ada instead of say PHP or Python.
>
> Gnoga is a completely different concept. You build an application as you would a desktop application accept it is running on the web. You could use Gnoga in the same way as AWS as well since it has a built in Web server, etc.
>
> I recently added (as in last night) to Gnoga the ability to auto fall back to http long polling and Ajax when Websockets are not available. What that means is that you won't have to worry about firewall issues, etc. and use a Gnoga application for "website" development is very reasonable.
>
> So to answer, if you plan on doing anything more than server static pages or occasional form submissions, Gnoga is probably the best option today (in any language) if you want anything interactive.
>
> David Botton

Hi David,
Many thanks for the reply. I'll go away and have a play with AWS and Gnoga.
Cheers,
Leo