From: Graham Stark <graham.stark@virtual-worlds.biz>
Subject: Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:40:47 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2013-06-19T07:40:47-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

> anyone running is aws and postgresql website?

Here's one:

http://virtual-worlds-research.com/demonstrations/wsc/

and here's another one I'm still building:

http://projectsvr.virtual-worlds-research.com/la/

(this is just an initial part of quite a large project, is at an early stage, is fairly ugly to look at, and isn't of general interest, but I'm nonetheless quite proud of it).

> Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

The template system is nice, so you can make rapid changes layouts, etc.. It's better in that respect than Java, I think.

> Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

No. Probably should, though.

> Performance I assume is awesome.

The second one uses the semi-native interface to Postgres packaged with Gnatcoll, the first uses ODBC; the Gnatcoll one seems much faster but I haven't really investigated why (possibly just autocommit settings or something).

> Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

I choose AWS mainly because I'm constructing front-ends to quite large number-crunching applications that are themselves written in Ada and there are advantages in having the front-end and back-end (the model and the view, I suppose) in the same language. Plus, AWS is just a good thing, well written with a very nice community surrounding it.

Graham