* Article: Ada For Robotics
@ 2008-03-21 12:48 Mr. Bill
From: Mr. Bill @ 2008-03-21 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm a one-time embedded systems developer who has been stuck in the
bug-infested world of IT for some time.  I have been wanting to get back
into embedded systems but haven't seen anything interesting enough to cause
me to jump back in ... until I read the March 2008 issue of Circuit Cellar
magazine.  (www.circuitcellar.com)  If you want to look into Ada, this
article is a great place to start.

-- Bill

* Re: Article: Ada For Robotics
@ 2008-03-27 14:43 ` adaworks
From: adaworks @ 2008-03-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

This application description is one of the best testimonials to the benefits of
Ada that I have seen in years.

Ada software and compiler publishers should request reprints and make them
available at conferences such as Embedded Systems Conference, and the
annual STC conference in Salt Lake City.

I am forwarding this to the professor at our school (NPS) who has taken
charge of our robotics program.   He is planning to use Erlang, but maybe
this will encourage him to take another look at Ada.

Richard Riehle

"Mr. Bill" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm a one-time embedded systems developer who has been stuck in the
> bug-infested world of IT for some time.  I have been wanting to get back into
> embedded systems but haven't seen anything interesting enough to cause me to
> jump back in ... until I read the March 2008 issue of Circuit Cellar magazine.
> (www.circuitcellar.com)  If you want to look into Ada, this article is a great
> place to start.
>
> -- Bill

* Re: Article: Ada For Robotics
@ 2008-03-29  0:31   ` jimmaureenrogers
From: jimmaureenrogers @ 2008-03-29  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was not the least surprised by the article.

Many years ago I lead a 3-person software development team on a
robotics project. We were developing robotic controls for the U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers. Our team used Ada.

We developed a full robotic control application, developing about
200,000 lines of code, using the MIL-STD 498 process, in 18 months. I
was my company's representative on the Army Joint Architecture for
Unmanned Ground Systems Working Group. All the other attendees to this
working group had developed robotic applications using C++. While the
three of us were developing the Ada application the other teams (all
of which were much larger than ours) managed to implement some
relatively minor enhancements.

One of the unique features of our system was that we were the first
team to develop a robotic control system in compliance with the Army
Joint Architecture.

Jim Rogers