From: aek@vib.usr.pu.ru (Alexander Kopilovitch)
Subject: Re: Nuclear Reactors & Blackout
Date: 15 Aug 2003 18:26:18 -0700
Date: 2003-08-16T01:26:19+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert C. Leif wrote:

> According to the US press, the reactors in New York State and other areas
> had to be shut down because there was a risk of an incident if the auxiliary
> power from the rest of the grid was lost.

Well, not exacly shut down, but nuclear plants should be detached from the
damaged part of the power network as quickly as possible. Not because of lack
of auxiliary power, but because jumps of the power are very dangerous for this
type of electrical plants. So, it was proper and actually necessary action in
this situation.

> This approach to hazard analysis should be named Fail-For-Sure.

Well, this was not "hazard analysis", it was mandatory emergency action.
I think that that you statement is not just ignorant, but also arrogant.
If I were a terrorist I would dream you become director of a nuclear plant.
You may be good inventor and good scientist, but remember, that Chernobyl
story began when scientist (physist, but without significant experience
with real working nuclear plants) was assigned to a commanding position.
He invented his owm method and procedure for testing. The result of that
testing immediately became (in)famous worldwide.

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia