* max CPU load recommended
@ 2012-06-25  9:53 Gerd
From: Gerd @ 2012-06-25  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, this not an Ada related question, but maybe you could answer it
best:

What is a recommended value for maximum CPU load for safety systems?
Are there any recommendations within 61508 or 26262?

* Re: max CPU load recommended
@ 2012-06-26 22:14 ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2012-06-26 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerd wrote:

> Sorry, this not an Ada related question, but maybe you could answer it
> best:
>
> What is a recommended value for maximum CPU load for safety systems?

69.3%, according to the formula. ;)

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate-monotonic_scheduling>.

Vinzent.

We cause accidents.
     -- Nathaniel Borenstein

* Re: max CPU load recommended
@ 2012-06-26 23:00   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2012-06-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/26/2012 03:14 PM, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
> Gerd wrote:
>>
>> What is a recommended value for maximum CPU load for safety systems?
>
> 69.3%, according to the formula. ;)

Most of the critical embedded systems I've worked on said 50%, to allow for
future enhancements. And none of them ever used that reserved 50%; when they
came to do enhancements, they upgraded the processor(s), and required that we
keep 50% for future enhancements.

--
Jeff Carter
"People called Romanes, they go the house?"

* Re: max CPU load recommended
@ 2012-06-28 19:20 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2012-06-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-06-25 12:53 , Gerd wrote:
> Sorry, this not an Ada related question, but maybe you could answer it
> best:
>
> What is a recommended value for maximum CPU load for safety systems?
> Are there any recommendations within 61508 or 26262?

I don't know what those standards recommend, but the idea of a "safe"
CPU load is wrong, IMO. The actual CPU load varies with time; when the
CPU is processing a task, its load is 100%; when it is waiting for some
task to become ready, it is 0%. Any measured "CPU load" figure is an
average over some time period and cannot be used to prove that the
system meets its deadlines within that time period.

For example, if the system is expected to respond in 1 ms to an
interrupt that occurs about twice per second, the average CPU load over
one second can be quite small even if the response takes 10 ms instead
of 1 ms.

You should rather compute the margins for all deadlines and put a limit
there, for example 50% margin, or some absolute time margin.

Some rigorous schedulability analysis methods, like RMA, give predicted
CPU loads and ensure that if this predicted load is below some limit
then all deadlines will be met. Other (more flexible) analysis methods
focus on response times rather than CPU loads.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd