From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Runtime check : what about you ?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-06-17T11:59:37-07:00	[thread overview]

On Jun 17, 10:53 am, Jeffrey Carter
<spam.jrcarter....@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 02:42 AM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
>

> > Just out of curiosity as much as because this may be worth to discuss it to some
> > (at least because there are some reflex with that) : how many of your typically
> > compile releases with runtime check and how many of you typically compile
> > releases without runtime check ?
>
> The description of the language in the ARM includes run-time checks. If checks
> are turned off, then you're using some other language, not Ada.

Then I guess the RM sections on the Suppress pragma must be a big fat
misprint.  Obviously, they're rogue pages that sneaked into the RM
from the standard for some other language.

Really, I don't see the point of statements like that.  Ada is a tool,
to be used for practical purposes.  It's not a religion.  And it was
certainly part of the intent of Ada's designers that developers would
develop their programs with checking turned on but then turn it off
after the program has been tested and is ready to be put into
production.  It's interesting to me that no one here has admitted
doing this; I don't know what this means, except that perhaps they're
only developing programs for which the computation time is small to
the amount of time spent waiting for the user to figure out where to
move the cursor, or something.  Or that no one is developing programs
that require a long intensive algorithm on a large 2-D array or
something like that, for which turning off checking could easily make
a huge difference.

                                -- Adam