* Question on GNAT-GPS
@ 2008-11-28 21:41 R
From: R @ 2008-11-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I installed the GPS suite on my system, started a compile of a (simple) file
and got results. The file has *.o extensions. How can I transform these
files to executables?

Grettings

Robert

* Re: Question on GNAT-GPS
@ 2008-11-28 23:44 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-11-28 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

R wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed the GPS suite on my system, started a compile of a (simple) file
> and got results. The file has *.o extensions. How can I transform these
> files to executables?

In case the file that you compiled is a main unit
(and if you want to rely on the GPS mechanisms to build
executables), tell GPS that this unit is a main file:
Build -> Project Properties -> Tab Main files.
(GNAT by default uses a one file <-> one unit correspondence.)

Behind the scene, compiling, binding and linking an Ada main
unit can be triggered by running

$ gnatmake your_main_unit.adb

(This would also create your_main_unit.o, among other files.)

The Getting Started chapter in Help -> GNAT -> GNAT User's Guide
is highly recommended reading, even if you intend to work within
the IDE.

HTH

* Re: Question on GNAT-GPS
@ 2008-12-01  4:48 ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-12-01  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best way to leaern the way GNAT works is to
   gnat compile  <file>.adb
   gnat bind      <file>.ali
   gnat link      <file>.ali   <extra non-ada files>.o