* Mixing languages with Ada
@ 2008-07-23  9:08 Tomek Walkuski
From: Tomek Walkuski @ 2008-07-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to do some co-op work in client-server environment. I have to
write (some) server and I want to do this in Ada.  Team mate has to
write client communicating with my server and he wants to use, for
example, Java. What is the best choice to mix those languages? Any
simple solution? Protocol between server and client will be "simple".

* Re: Mixing languages with Ada
@ 2008-07-23  9:12 ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-07-23  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Mixing languages with Ada
@ 2008-07-23 11:44   ` Tomek Walkuski
From: Tomek Walkuski @ 2008-07-23 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Lip, 11:12, xavier grave <xavier.gr...@ipno.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> In order to ease you work you can use Web services (using AWS) or Corba
> (using PolyORB) for your Ada server.

Corba? It is like using cannon to kill mosquito :) In my case, I
think.

I will have to try AWS.

The point is, that the server will be responsible for communication
with some Cisco devices via serial port and client(s) will talk to the
server based on my own protocol.

* Re: Mixing languages with Ada
@ 2008-07-23 11:56     ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-07-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Mixing languages with Ada
@ 2008-07-23 16:55 ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-07-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

For client/server programming, once the Ada-2005 specs were adopted last
year Adacore has decided to stop using the RPC package based in Annex-E
by using the RM Annex E.2. (20). Also, back in 2005 they introduce the Java
based Partition Communication Subsystem (PCS) called Polyorb. And now it
the only PCS package supported by Adacore and GNAT-2008.

So, you only have three choices:
     1. Use Polyorb, aka Cobra, MOM, etc. In this case, since Polyorb is
         based from Java Cobra subsystem, I would use Java.  Includes
         examples written in Ada.

     2. Write you own PCS.  And you can use the language of your choice
        so long as that language supports networks.

     3. Or go back and get the Gnat-Glade-2007 package and build the
        RPC. Which will not be supported, except maybe from those who
        have used the package through talks in chatrooms and maybe
        forums. For this package C or Java is a good bet for a secondary
        language. Includes Ada examples.

Since you say the protocols will be simple I would write my own PCS.
Using both Ada and Java for the mixed languages. And you can find C
and Java network examples on the net that can be use to help you write
your Ada code. Skip the overhead of Polynorb or the updating/compiling
for GNAT-Glade-2007 subsystem.

@ 2008-08-06 11:53 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2008-08-06 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomek Walkuski wrote:

> I need to do some co-op work in client-server environment. I have to
> write (some) server and I want to do this in Ada.  Team mate has to
> write client communicating with my server and he wants to use, for
> example, Java. What is the best choice to mix those languages? Any
> simple solution? Protocol between server and client will be
> "simple".

Consider implementing your protocol directly on top of TCP/IP (for
example using GNAT.Sockets).

If you need some examples, then you're welcome to take a look at
<http://edb.jacob-sparre.dk/Posix_in_Ada/11/> and
<http://edb.jacob-sparre.dk/Posix_in_Ada/12/>.

My students have solved several project exercises, where they have
written servers in Ada and clients in Java.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Stop the proliferation of weapons of maths instruction!