From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
Subject: Detecting version of installed GNAT
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:21:14 GMT
Date: 2005-11-12T13:21:14+00:00	[thread overview]

I'm looking for suggestions for programatically determining what version of
GNAT is installed on a system.

I'd hoped there was something like "gnatmake -v" that would just display a
version string, but gnatmake doesn't have that feature.  I could use "gcc
-v" and then deduce from its version what version of GNAT was installed,
but I'd prefer something more closely tied to GNAT itself.  And since some
distributions of gnat use "gnatcc" instead of "gcc", I'd have to account
for that as well.

It looks like I could compile a small file and then look at its .ali file,
since that contains a compiler version string, but I'd still like to see
something a little more direct.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies