* Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21  9:36 Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2003-03-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will sure be annoyed, but so am I. This is not only a war against
Iraq but a war against all the people dependant on international
economy, and it means you too. I do not support it because from the
viewpoint of a member of international community it is not legal, it is
not legitimate and it is not right. Let it be known.

Sincerely,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 10:05 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-21 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav wrote:
> You will sure be annoyed, but so am I. This is not only a war against
> Iraq but a war against all the people dependant on international
> economy, and it means you too. I do not support it because from the
> viewpoint of a member of international community it is not legal, it is
> not legitimate and it is not right. Let it be known.

OK, but lets discuss it in a different newsgroups. That goes also for
the endless C++/PL1 etc... discussions that are not related to Ada.

Preben

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 11:29   ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2003-03-21 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> OK, but lets discuss it in a different newsgroups. That goes also for
> the endless C++/PL1 etc... discussions that are not related to Ada.

Does anyone know if the munitions in Iraq are coded in Ada, or are
they mainly C++, or even PL/1? :-)

Dale

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 11:30 ` Faust
From: Faust @ 2003-03-21 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> writes:

> You will sure be annoyed, but so am I. This is not only a war against
> Iraq but a war against all the people dependant on international
> economy, and it means you too. I do not support it because from the
> viewpoint of a member of international community it is not legal, it
> is not legitimate and it is not right. Let it be known.

You are totally right.

--

Breathing in, out,
forward, back,

Two arrows meet in mid air,
slice and sail on through
into open space.

I turn around.

gesshu soko
death poem
january 1696

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 11:50     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> Does anyone know if the munitions in Iraq are coded in Ada, or are
> they mainly C++, or even PL/1? :-)

I guess the smart bombs[*] are coded in Ada and the dumb bombs in C++.
Dirty bombs are coded in C. ;-) The Patriot missiles seem to have
some problems shooting down the Iraq missiles.

Preben

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 12:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-03-21 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <t2Bea.2584$wK6.108779@news.siol.net>, Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> writes:
> You will sure be annoyed, but so am I.

Take your annoyance to an appropriate newsgroup.

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 14:56       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-03-21 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

It does put the whole "shooting yourself in the foot"
thing in a new light!

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-21 15:18     ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2003-03-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dale Stanbrough" <dstanbro@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if the munitions in Iraq are coded in Ada, or are
> they mainly C++, or even PL/1? :-)

Congratulations! You have just steered an off-topic thread onto the topic!
There may be hope for this NG yet.

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-24 23:10         ` Karen
From: Karen @ 2003-03-24 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rumour has it that there are some super smart munitions being developed
using Z.  Apparently it has been formally proven that they cannot cause a
fratricide (friendly fire).

Mind you, they've yet to formally defined a friend.  :-)

@ 2003-03-25  0:23       ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-03-25  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
> Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the munitions in Iraq are coded in Ada, or are
> > they mainly C++, or even PL/1? :-)
>
> I guess the smart bombs[*] are coded in Ada and the dumb bombs in C++.
> Dirty bombs are coded in C. ;-) The Patriot missiles seem to have
> some problems shooting down the Iraq missiles.

Preben, if you are going to make snide remarks, you should at least make
them TRUTHFUL snide remarks.

Last report I saw, the PAC-3 batteries were 6 for 6 against Iraqi missiles.

Including an Abibil-2 (sp?) that Iraq developed post-1991, under the 90-mile
range limit, that was intercepted and destroyed AFTER it had already flown
110 miles.

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-25 18:43         ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-03-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net> wrote in message

> Last report I saw, the PAC-3 batteries were 6 for 6 against Iraqi
missiles.

Plus one Tornado, I hear.

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-25 21:24           ` Faust
From: Faust @ 2003-03-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>> Last report I saw, the PAC-3 batteries were 6 for 6 against Iraqi
> missiles.
>
> Plus one Tornado, I hear.

The Tornado counts as 6 missiles.

--

Breathing in, out,
forward, back,

Two arrows meet in mid air,
slice and sail on through
into open space.

I turn around.

gesshu soko
death poem
january 1696

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-25 22:41   ` Bill Schreckenstein
From: Bill Schreckenstein @ 2003-03-25 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

This ada board is not a proper place for sounding off against a war.
I do agree however that now is not a good time for one.  I would like
to think that everyone here no matter what stance they carry support
our men and women overseas who follow their orders and defend our
freedoms.  We are very lucky to have them as members of this great
nation.  As for the Patriots they did shoot down a friendly so 6 for 6
isn't a valid statement either.  I do however know that many of the
systems you see at work .. from subs to planes to ships have ada
inside .. and as an ada coder you have to appreciate the complexity of
these systems.  I can't even begin to describe how much easier a time
I have had writting code in ada and debugging it vs. C++.  I hope this
board keeps up the good work ... I have learned a lot from everyone
posting here.

Regards,
Bill

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-25 23:00           ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-03-25 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net> wrote in message

> > Last report I saw, the PAC-3 batteries were 6 for 6 against Iraqi
> missiles.
>
> Plus one Tornado, I hear.

Sh*t happens.

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-25 23:02     ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-03-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill Schreckenstein" <william.f.schreckenstein@lmco.com> wrote in message
> This ada board is not a proper place for sounding off against a war.
> I do agree however that now is not a good time for one.  I would like
> to think that everyone here no matter what stance they carry support
> our men and women overseas who follow their orders and defend our
> freedoms.  We are very lucky to have them as members of this great
> nation.  As for the Patriots they did shoot down a friendly so 6 for 6
> isn't a valid statement either.  I do however know that many of the
> systems you see at work .. from subs to planes to ships have ada
> inside .. and as an ada coder you have to appreciate the complexity of
> these systems.  I can't even begin to describe how much easier a time
> I have had writting code in ada and debugging it vs. C++.  I hope this
> board keeps up the good work ... I have learned a lot from everyone
> posting here.

OK, so 6 for 6 against missiles, 1 for 1 against unidentified aircraft.

This is why combat aircraft carry IFF sets.

* Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-26  3:27     ` Faust
From: Faust @ 2003-03-26  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

william.f.schreckenstein@lmco.com (Bill Schreckenstein) writes:

> This ada board is not a proper place for sounding off against a war.

Many ada progammers work for the DOD.
Many ada products are being used right now to kill Iraquis.

What better place is there to discuss war ?

Or are you happy to work in a moral vacuum , not
caring how much death and destruction your products are causing ?

--

Breathing in, out,
forward, back,

Two arrows meet in mid air,
slice and sail on through
into open space.

I turn around.

gesshu soko
death poem
january 1696

* Re: Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-26  4:42       ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-03-26  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>Many ada progammers work for the DOD.

Many C, C++, Java, ... programmers also do. And many don't.

I don't either.

>Many ada products are being used right now to kill Iraquis.

Right. Many $other_language products probably, too. This doesn't
justify such a discussion in this group.

>What better place is there to discuss war ?

This is still a *language* group, dude.

>Or are you happy to work in a moral vacuum ,

I don't think it has to do with lack of morality.

>not
>caring how much death and destruction your products are causing ?

You really want to hear my personal view? So be it.

I wouldn't care about deaths caused by software that helps in killing
people by intention. I see it this way: "You want it? - You got it."

But with absolute certainty I care about death by software *failures*.

Maybe I reorder my priorities some day, but I doubt it.

Vinzent.

--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents

* Re: Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-26  4:49         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-03-26  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <b5rb7n$2cnnv3$1@ID-175126.news.dfncis.de>, Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:
> =46aust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>>not
>>caring how much death and destruction your products are causing ?
>
> You really want to hear my personal view? So be it.

Not in this group I don't.

And I don't want to hear those of Faust either.

I had this problem solved with my killfile until you chose to repeat
all his views on an off-topic subject but under your own name.

* Re: Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-26  8:30       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-03-26  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> wrote in message news:<n0ji959c.fsf_-_@optushome.com.au>...
> william.f.schreckenstein@lmco.com (Bill Schreckenstein) writes:
>
> > This ada board is not a proper place for sounding off against a war.
>

> Many ada progammers work for the DOD.
> Many ada products are being used right now to kill Iraquis.

as do many C, C++, FORTRAN, etc programmers and products but I don't
see you cross posting to those groups.

* Re: Ada software helps the war Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-26 10:03         ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2003-03-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

> Faust <urfaust@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> > william.f.schreckenstein@lmco.com (Bill Schreckenstein) writes:
> >
> > > This ada board is not a proper place for sounding off against a war.
> >

> > Many ada progammers work for the DOD.
> > Many ada products are being used right now to kill Iraquis.
>
> as do many C, C++, FORTRAN, etc programmers and products but I don't
> see you cross posting to those groups.

...and we shouldn't forget that the Allied forces are using
English as their language - I think that Mr Faust, if he believes
that a -language- shouldn't be used if it is every associated with
war, should stop using English. That would be consistent, wouldn't
it Mr Faust.

I didn't see the original post, because Mr Faust is in my
kill file. Probably for very good reason.

My guess is that he totally clueless with respect to computer
languages.

Dale

* Re: Protest against the war on Iraq
@ 2003-03-27  9:17         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-03-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Strohm wrote:
>> Dirty bombs are coded in C. ;-) The Patriot missiles seem to have
>> some problems shooting down the Iraq missiles.
>
> Preben, if you are going to make snide remarks, you should at least make
> them TRUTHFUL snide remarks.
>
> Last report I saw, the PAC-3 batteries were 6 for 6 against Iraqi missiles.

Don't know where you saw this.

> Including an Abibil-2 (sp?) that Iraq developed post-1991, under the 90-mile
> range limit, that was intercepted and destroyed AFTER it had already flown
> 110 miles.

A british plane was shot down. And another F-16 (?) was locked on but it
fired on the radar station so it wasn't shot down.

Preben