* how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 17:07 Norbert Caspari
From: Norbert Caspari @ 2006-01-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I try to printout a variable of the type Unsigned_64 with the put
statement (using Ada.Integer_IO), I get errors. Even though I use the item,
width and base arguments within the put statement.

Could somebody please give me an example that works?

The variable type Unsigned_64 is included in the Interface package.
I use the GNAT compiler.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards, Norbert

* Re: how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 17:22 ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2006-01-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can create a package of subprograms for reading and writing
Unsigned_64 values by instantiating Ada.Text_Io.Modular_Io for the
Interface.Unsigned_64 type, e.g.

	package Uns_64_Io is
	   new Ada.Text_Io.Modular_IO (Interface.Unsigned_64);

This package should meet your needs.

--
"All things extant in this world,
Gods of Heaven, gods of Earth,

"Drizzle, Drazzle, Drozzle, Drome,
Time for the this one to come home!"
- Mr. Lizard from "Tutor Turtle"

* Re: how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 17:24 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2006-01-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Caspari wrote:
> If I try to printout a variable of the type Unsigned_64 with the put
> statement (using Ada.Integer_IO), I get errors. Even though I use the item,
> width and base arguments within the put statement.
>
> Could somebody please give me an example that works?
>
> The variable type Unsigned_64 is included in the Interface package.
> I use the GNAT compiler.

First off, there is no such package as "Ada.Integer_IO", so I guess
you're actually using "Ada.Integer_Text_IO" :-)

"Ada.Integer_Text_IO" is an instance of "Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO" for
type "Integer" - not for any other type. You need to instantiate a
version of "Ada.Text_IO.Modular_IO" with type "Interfaces.Unsigned_64".

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 18:18   ` Norbert Caspari
From: Norbert Caspari @ 2006-01-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank J. Lhota wrote:

> You can create a package of subprograms for reading and writing
> Unsigned_64 values by instantiating Ada.Text_Io.Modular_Io for the
> Interface.Unsigned_64 type, e.g.
>
> package Uns_64_Io is
> new Ada.Text_Io.Modular_IO (Interface.Unsigned_64);
>
> This package should meet your needs.

That was what I'm looking for. Now it works.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards, Norbert

* Re: how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 18:23   ` Norbert Caspari
From: Norbert Caspari @ 2006-01-30 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

> First off, there is no such package as "Ada.Integer_IO", so I guess
> you're actually using "Ada.Integer_Text_IO" :-)

Yes, you're right, sorry ;-)

> "Ada.Integer_Text_IO" is an instance of "Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO" for
> type "Integer" - not for any other type. You need to instantiate a
> version of "Ada.Text_IO.Modular_IO" with type "Interfaces.Unsigned_64".

Thanks a lot for this hint. I got also another reply, describing actually
the same. Now it works.

Best regards, Norbert

* Re: how to put Unsigned_64?
@ 2006-01-30 19:35 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2006-01-30 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Caspari <nnc@gmx.li> writes:
> If I try to printout a variable of the type Unsigned_64 with the put
> statement (using Ada.Integer_IO), I get errors. Even though I use the item,
> width and base arguments within the put statement.
>
> Could somebody please give me an example that works?
>
> The variable type Unsigned_64 is included in the Interface package.
> I use the GNAT compiler.

For future reference, if you have a problem like this you need to
provide more information.  Show us the code that's failing (don't
re-type it, copy-and-paste the *exact* code).  Don't tell us "I get
errors", *show us* the actual error messages.

This question happened to be an easy one, but your next one may not
be, and you'll save us all a lot of time if we don't have to ask for
more information.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.