From: "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:49:29 GMT
Date: 2003-08-21T19:49:29+00:00	[thread overview]

When I posted this thread it was to gather bits of information in order to
realize namely what the purpose or goal of my website would be. Now, with
the response I've had so far.  I pretty much know what I want to do..

1. Promote Ada not just as another programming language, but as a viable
development environment for any categories of development projects.  Again
someone mentionned on this newsgroup that everybody says that Ada is jsut as
capable as any other language to develop quality professional level
software.  How many of these projects actually exist right now....what
project could be done to prove that Ada is up to the task?   I'd like a list
of past projects too to get a bit of history going on on the website.

2. Offer A wiki or a Forum to new and existing ada users. This is ye tto be
determined, I'm thinking this newsgroup might be enough...and a forum or
Wiki might be overkill...Although I could make a forum for active
development projects in Ada as part of the 3rd goal.

3. I'd like to host Active development projects in Ada.  I like that idea
that was sent to me in this forum from R. Srinivasan....Hence the forum I
mentionned in Item 2 however it would be diferent forum as would be the
newsgroup or general forum about Ada...but I think it would be a good way to
comment each project and document the work being done on the project as
well.  This would be for new projects and ideas, for new projects I'd also
be able to host the source code (soemwhat like Sourceforge althought I'm not
sure about CVS support and all that yet.  Like someone said there's no use
replicating the code.  if it's already being hosted somewhere you can still
tell me about the project, and we'll create a forum for it to so people know
about it and you can provide links to where the sources are actually hosted.

As for the groups people that I'm aiming basically anyone wanting to know
what Ada is can probably find answers here.   Ada Power is still active
although it's difficult for David Botton to update it currently as he
mentionned.  So I wouldn't want to replicate too much information from his
website.  As you might have read he's looking for someone that might hav a
bit of time to help him keep his website updated so maybe someone could?
this would be great for hsi website.  But anyone wantting to learn how to
program in ada, in any level would be better off at AdaPower for that.

For any other groups of people I think the goals mentionned above speak for
themselves as for which type of people I would be aiming for.  adn of course
a related links section to tie every existing website together would be good
:-).   Do I hear Ada Webring?  perhaps, or perhaps just a related links
page. :-)

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor