From: Christopher Broeg <broeg@astro.uni-jena.de>
Subject: Re: many exceptions cause memory leak?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:29:33 +0200
Date: 2005-10-24T13:29:33+02:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

sorry that I didn't reply immediately. I was away over the weekend.

 From your replys I assume that ada should not waste memory by exception
calls. Thanks for that.

Well, my platform is suse Linux and I compile using
GNATMAKE GAP 1.1.0 (20041209-323)

I am by no means an expert in programming but I figured that all memory
assigned by pointers is returned. I do not use my own storage pool but
allocate just by
is new...
so it is all on the heap, I guess. The application is not large on your
terms. It is just an a little more complicated numerical algorithm
finding a few thousand solutions to a set of ordinary differential
equations. Using spline interpolation for equations of state, and other
physical quantities, it gets a little more complicated, though.
Furthermore my data i/o is via a c binding to HDF5. I am not sure if may
be the HDF5 library wasting the memory.

It is not real problem, because the program usually finishes around a
few 100 MB, but when I run the calculations on other peoples machines I
don't want it to use so much (it is nice of them to allow the cpu load,
already). Upon starting it only uses 46 MB. But increases steadily.

Any suggestions how to find the memory leak?

Thanks,

Chris