From: dirk@hera.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de (Dirk Dickmanns)
Subject: Re: c2ada (cbfe) on Linux? And: Ada graphics lib?
Date: 1996/04/12
Date: 1996-04-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

>Dirk said
>"(Aside: As Linux is only a student hacker toy, it does not share those
>commercial Un*x bugs ;-) Sorry, pun against some posts in the Unix
>haters thread included"

>See, I said that Linux was not a typical Unix system :-)

Sadly enough! It would deserve being it.
<way off topic mode enabled>
It was not your comment (I think, but I really don't know and won't
look it up), but someone picked on it as a system designed by some
student <shudder>. I can only add: What a student!

>In fact Linux is yet another reminder that quality of sotware is
>not necessarily directly proportional to cost!

Yeah, and it is living software: choose one of a hundred versions with
the fewest bugs hurting you and be happy.  Mickeysoft allows you to
choose between 95 Breaking Windows (tm)...

>What is interesting too is the performance of Linux, even on a modest
>PC, it can give a Sun work station user quite a surprise in this
>regard -- I pushed to get Linux-PC' for our students here at NYU,
>and that's where I see this comparison made.

Agreed, same experiences over here.  My P5-133 at home runs as fast or
faster than all our SUNs but the Ultras.  And those PC's are cheap (no
start of WS vs. PC flame war intended ;-).

Dirk

--
Dirk Dickmanns -- REALIS -- real-time dynamic computer vision
Sun OS 4.1.3; PC Linux; Ada, OCCAM, C, Eiffel, PROLOG, C++