From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: Help understanding the benefits of Ada's exception model
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:42:59 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-06-26T04:42:59-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Everyone

I love Ada and I am so grateful for the help I have received on this list. This post is slightly negative and I really hope I will not offend those that have been so good to me....

With Ada we can define exceptions and they have an explicit place in the block structure. It appears that this form is called unchecked exceptions.

There is also checked exceptions, like in C:

if (f = fopen("someFle")) { do something ... }

Assuming that a valid test can be created, what is wrong with checked exceptions ?

I love Ada but I have found that I don't need a large part of it as a single developer writing single threaded code.

Tying my code to a built in exception model means I have to choose other languages that have built in exceptions models like C++(yuck) if I want to port and that doesn't mean that there models work the same way. Checked exceptions look easy to port to virtually any language not just C.

Please help me understand the benefits of Ada's model.

Thanks for reading-Patrick