* Re: Using the SDS SingleStep Debugging Suite for Ada???
@ 1998-07-18  0:00 ` Corey Ashford
From: Corey Ashford @ 1998-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Escheria wrote in message <1998071902425500.WAA29899@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>I'd like to be able to use the SDS SingleStep debugging suite for code compiled
>with the Rational Ada compiler. The SingleStep debugger is intended only for C,
>C++, and Assembly code, however I'm presently able to get it to work for Ada
>with limited capabilities. Specifically, I can step, set breakpoints, step
>into/over, but I cannot perform data operations (Read, Evaluate/Modify, etc.).
>It doesn't seem to have the data necessary to see global and local variables.
>
>Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas on what specific data (and the required
>format) I might be able to provide to SingleStep?
>
>Thanks you.

Local variables you'll have trouble with.

Globals should be a little easier.  There are two options:

1) Figure out what symbol the Ada compiler is emitting for
the global variable you are interested in and try using that in
your debugger.  I don't know what object module format you are
using, but there's probably a tool like nm that can be used.

2) Use pragma export to give your global variables names which
are easy to type (and use in the debugger).

good luck

- Corey

* Using the SDS SingleStep Debugging Suite for Ada???
@ 1998-07-19  0:00 Escheria
From: Escheria @ 1998-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-07-20  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Escheria asks

<<I'd like to be able to use the SDS SingleStep debugging suite for code compiled
with the Rational Ada compiler. The SingleStep debugger is intended only for C,
C++, and Assembly code, however I'm presently able to get it to work for Ada
with limited capabilities. Specifically, I can step, set breakpoints, step
into/over, but I cannot perform data operations (Read, Evaluate/Modify, etc.).
It doesn't seem to have the data necessary to see global and local variables.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas on what specific data (and the required
format) I might be able to provide to SingleStep?

I don't know this particular tool, but if it works for C, then presumably
it uses the standard system debugging formats.

An advantage of the GNAT debugging approach is that it is easy to interface with

such tools. GNAT generates output in standard system debugging format, together
with encodings that fully describe Ada structures not directly descriabable in C.
These encodings can be used in two ways

a) an Ada aware debugger like GNAT or SGI Workshop can use these debuggers to
provide full access to all Ada data structures in a transparent manner.

b) a standard C debugger can be used for displaying data that corresponds
to C formats (e.g. simple data, simple records, simple arrays etc).
Furthermore, since the encodings use standard C interfaces (e.g. they are
encoded type names). Using the full documentation of the encoding (it is in
the file exp_dbug.ads) a user can use these encodings to extract more detailed
informatoin manually.

* Re: Using the SDS SingleStep Debugging Suite for Ada???
@ 1998-07-21  0:00   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1998-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar a �crit dans le message ...

>I don't know this particular tool, but if it works for C, then presumably
>it uses the standard system debugging formats.
>
>An advantage of the GNAT debugging approach is that it is easy to interface
with

>such tools. GNAT generates output in standard system debugging format,
together
>with encodings that fully describe Ada structures not directly descriabable
in C.
>These encodings can be used in two ways
>
>a) an Ada aware debugger like GNAT or SGI Workshop can use these debuggers
                                                         ^^^^^^
Robert meant GDB there.

Pascal.

* Re: Using the SDS SingleStep Debugging Suite for Ada???
@ 1998-07-21  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal said

<<>a) an Ada aware debugger like GNAT or SGI Workshop can use these debuggers
                                                         ^^^^^^
Robert meant GDB there.

Yes, indeed, I meant GDB (the Ada aware GDB is very much part of the GNAT
system, so it is an easy mistake to make :-)

* Re: Using the SDS SingleStep Debugging Suite for Ada???
@ 1998-10-09  0:00 escheria
From: escheria @ 1998-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>><<I'd like to be able to use the SDS SingleStep debugging suite for code
compiled
>>with the Rational Ada compiler. The SingleStep debugger is intended only for
C,
>>C++, and Assembly code, however I'm presently able to get it to work for Ada
>>with limited capabilities. Specifically, I can step, set breakpoints, step
>>into/over, but I cannot perform data operations (Read, Evaluate/Modify, etc.).
>>It doesn't seem to have the data necessary to see global and local variables.
>>
>>Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas on what specific data (and the required
>>format) I might be able to provide to SingleStep?
>>

>>I don't know this particular tool, but if it works for C, then presumably
>>it uses the standard system debugging formats.
>>
>>An advantage of the GNAT debugging approach is that it is easy to interface
with

>>such tools. GNAT generates output in standard system debugging format,
together
>>with encodings that fully describe Ada structures not directly descriabable
in C.
>>These encodings can be used in two ways
>>
>>a) an Ada aware debugger like GNAT or SGI Workshop can use these debuggers to
>>provide full access to all Ada data structures in a transparent manner.
>>
>>b) a standard C debugger can be used for displaying data that corresponds
>>to C formats (e.g. simple data, simple records, simple arrays etc).
>>Furthermore, since the encodings use standard C interfaces (e.g. they are
>>encoded type names). Using the full documentation of the encoding (it is in
>>the file exp_dbug.ads) a user can use these encodings to extract more detailed
>>informatoin manually.

Can GNAT be used as an intermediaye between the output of the Rational Ada
compiler and the input to the SDS Single Step On Chip Debugger?