* Status og GNAT & RedHat Linux
@ 1998-06-20  0:00 Chris Miller
From: Chris Miller @ 1998-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A question about the status of Gnat and RedHad Linux.

I am running RedHat 5.0 and would like to install a more recent version
of Gnat. As well as doing some Ada work, I also want to try out ASIS,
GLADE & CORBA. My understanding is that I am probably better off on a
Unix like platform for ASIS, GLADE & CORBA.

Earlier this year I tried Gnat 3.10p, but got the "crtbegin.o" problem.
I saw some of the correspondance on this newsgroup about the fix but
decided that it was all to messey and so didn't worry about it.

Does anyone know the current status of this ?. What is the best GNAT
option for RedHat 5.0 ?.

I would prefer to stick with Linux (love vi & X windows to much), but if
no fix is available then NT seems like the next option.

Chris Miller
chrismil@ozemail.com.au

* Re: Status og GNAT & RedHat Linux
@ 1998-06-20  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Miller wrote:
> Earlier this year I tried Gnat 3.10p, but got the "crtbegin.o" problem.

Easily fixed by a symbolic link to the other gcc-lib subdirectory.

> I saw some of the correspondance on this newsgroup about the fix but
> decided that it was all to messey and so didn't worry about it.

The description on

  http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html

for installing GNAT 3.10p on Red Hat 5.0 (and probably other Linux
systems that have already switched from libc5 to glibc2 as their
C library) is pretty straight forward and worked for me in a
few minutes.

The only big problem with GNAT under Red Hat 5.0 is that
the Florist Posix.5 binding does not work.

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Re: Status og GNAT & RedHat Linux
@ 1998-06-21  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-06-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris says

<<Does anyone know the current status of this ?. What is the best GNAT
option for RedHat 5.0 ?.

I would prefer to stick with Linux (love vi & X windows to much), but if
no fix is available then NT seems like the next option.

It is possible to run GNAT 3.10 on RedHat 5.0 but it takes some fiddling,
look at the archives of chat@gnat.com for full details.

The current version of GNAT fully supports RedHat 5.0, so that is definitely
the "best GNAT option for RedHat 5.0". Contact sales@gnat.com for details.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies