* GNAT Ada95 Source code
@ 1998-06-03  0:00 Charlie Patel
From: Charlie Patel @ 1998-06-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I understand that the source code for the Ada95 compiler is written in
Ada? Is this true? Also, what files contain the the multithreading
routines (thread create, thread join, thread destroy, etc..)?
PLEASE RESPOND TO patelc@ro.com also!

Thanks,
Charlie Patel

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Research Assistant

* Re: GNAT Ada95 Source code
@ 1998-06-03  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-06-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: patelc

patelc@sh1.ro.com (Charlie Patel) writes:

> I understand that the source code for the Ada95 compiler is written in
> Ada? Is this true? Also, what files contain the the multithreading
> routines (thread create, thread join, thread destroy, etc..)?
> PLEASE RESPOND TO patelc@ro.com also!

gnat is a member of the gcc compiler family, and is distributed under
the terms of the GPL.  (Actually, a slightly modified GPL, to let you
link to GPL'd libraries - I think.)  The source is freely available for
downloading at the NYU ftp site.

<ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/>

Yes, the source code is written in Ada.  I don't know about which parts
of the source do the threading stuff, but the source is relatively
simple to figure out.

Try posting your message to the gnat chat list too.  The ACT guys monitor
that list, and can probably give you answers directly.

The list is

<mailto:chat@gnat.com>

but I think you have to subscribe.  To subscribe, you send a message to
(I think)

<mailto:chat-request@gnat.com>

The website might have the exact syntax.

<http://www.gnat.com/>

* Re: GNAT Ada95 Source code
@ 1998-06-04  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew said

<<gnat is a member of the gcc compiler family, and is distributed under
the terms of the GPL.  (Actually, a slightly modified GPL, to let you
link to GPL'd libraries - I think.)  The source is freely available for
downloading at the NYU ftp site.

That's a bit confusing. The main sources of the compiler are distributed
under the GPL period (not a modified GPL).

Components of ASIS and the runtime are distributed under a significantly
modified GPL (see text of modification below) that make it possible to

a) create tools using the ASIS interface not covered by the GPL
b) compile programs using the GNAT runtime not covered by the GPL

respectively

--

-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from this --
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an executable, --