* Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Frustration
@ 1998-05-21  0:00 Andreas Jungmaier
From: Andreas Jungmaier @ 1998-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

as you might have guessed already from the header, I have spent
considerable time trying to get a working version of gnat on my linux
system.
The specs: RedHat 5.0 with glibc-2.0.7 (which is the source of
all of this problems, methinks), gcc-2.7.2.3
Now, in spite of several hints found in this group (thanks to Alain
Bizzi), I have not been able to compile gnat nor have I been able
to install the binary distribution in a way that it works.
(binary gives the following error : crtbegin.o not found, when
 binding/linking is started)

I know that the development crew does not want any pressure put
on them, but somewhere I have read, that they are already running
gnat-3.11 on RedHat-5.0 based systems.
It would be a great thing, if a Beta Release could be made (for
3.11 on linux), or if there was some way to get gnat-3.10 running
for the above described linux setup (e.g. where to get the proper
 crt-stuff).
Any help on this is appreciated.
I do not want to have to switch to NT being a poor researcher
working at an even poorer university.
Also, downgrading the system (i.e. switching to another distribution
is not an option for me :-)

Andreas

Andreas Jungmaier  		ajung@teisa.unican.es

* Re: Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Frustration
@ 1998-05-21  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Jungmaier wrote:
> I know that the development crew does not want any pressure put
> on them, but somewhere I have read, that they are already running
> gnat-3.11 on RedHat-5.0 based systems.
> It would be a great thing, if a Beta Release could be made (for
> 3.11 on linux), or if there was some way to get gnat-3.10 running
> for the above described linux setup (e.g. where to get the proper
>  crt-stuff).
> I do not want to have to switch to NT being a poor researcher
> working at an even poorer university.

I fully support this beg. Please, please dear GNAT folks, it would
be really nice and helpful for getting Ada95 more widely deployed if
a binary version that is easy to install under Red Hat 5 (where
now glibc instead of libc is used) were available. Our department
plans to upgrade all our workstations to RH5 in a few days, and
I'll probably loose GNAT then.

Markus

* Re: Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Frustration
@ 1998-05-21  0:00 ` Denis WALLEZ-MASKAY
From: Denis WALLEZ-MASKAY @ 1998-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

just make the links (about crtbegin.o etc.):
in .../gnat/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1/

 crtbegin.o -> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/crtbegin.o

idem for crtbeginS.o, crtend.o, crtendS.o, cpp, cc1, specs/, include/,
         SYSCALLS.c.X, cc1plus.

* Re: Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Frustration
@ 1998-05-21  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<I know that the development crew does not want any pressure put
on them, but somewhere I have read, that they are already running
gnat-3.11 on RedHat-5.0 based systems.

It is not an issue of not wanting any pressure put on us, it is simply a
matter of priorities. Clearly support of our customers must come first,
since that pays the bills for continuing support of all aspects of the
GNAT project, including the public releases.

But we will continue to make public releases from time to time as we
always have!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Frustration
@ 1998-05-21  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<I fully support this beg. Please, please dear GNAT folks, it would
be really nice and helpful for getting Ada95 more widely deployed if
a binary version that is easy to install under Red Hat 5 (where
now glibc instead of libc is used) were available. Our department
plans to upgrade all our workstations to RH5 in a few days, and
I'll probably loose GNAT then.

The next public release of GNAT for Linux will indeed support Red Hat 5
more easily.