From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: An array of records within an array of records (Still a problem)
Date: 1998/05/06
Date: 1998-05-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen said

<<> Sorry, I couldn't resist. I use _Type, and I just spent the weekend
> reading the Ada 95 Booch components, which don't.  It was subtly
> frustrating.  It would be nice if we (the Ada community) could agree
> on a consensus for this issue, as we seem to have on the
> Capitalization_Of_Multi_Word_Names issue.

Uniformity might be desirable here, but clearly the rule cannot be
to add _Type to every type (a real noise generator in my opinion),
since clearly this is not the style of the existing language design,
which defines many types.

The style in the RM (which I assume you also find subtly frustating) is
to use nouns as type names, so that something "is a" String or Integer
or Unbounded_String or whatever. Of course there are some cases where
Type is used (File_Type), so I would gather that the consensus from
the RM is to use one of these two styles depending on what is clearer.
Sounds good to me! It's certainly the approach I use.

Of course you have to be tuned in to the criterion of how to make his
this choice. I guess I must be, because I find the RM quite clear and
not frustrating, and I like its decisions on when to use Type and
when not to!