From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: An array of records within an array of records (Still a problem)
Date: 1998/05/02
Date: 1998-05-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

R Mullen notes:

<<  I am specifying the ID of the CD to the array of CD Tracks. I would of
thought it would work but as of yet it still wont. Although I have asked
this before the responses weren't really concerning the actual problem.

How do you expect people to respond to "the actual problem" if you keep
secret what your problem is "it still won't (work)" is not exactly
a detailed problem report!

Actually the writer here is a student, who perhaps can be forgiven for
the vague report :-)

But I am constantly amazed by the reports we sometimes get from experienced
software engineers that are equally vague, and have phrases like
"doesn't work", "bombs" etc.

A good working rule whenever you ask anyone for help, either informally in
a context like this one, or when reporting a problem under a formal support
contract is:

(a) provide the entire code that shows the problem if you can, or
        preferably (if you can) a cut down example.

(b) say exactly what you saw, in its entirety

(c) say why you think this report is wrong, and what you expected to see.

Part (c) is very important. It is a common occurrence for people to
post code that behaves exactly as one would expect given a reasonable
knowledge of Ada, and the issue is understanding the (often very strange)
misconception(s) that lead to the question being asked in the first place.