From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: An interesting object lesson (Ada vs C)
Date: 1998/04/26
Date: 1998-04-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<<It didn't.  It got DISPLAYED as 0.  That's what happens when you use
compiler-specific extensions (as "long double" is, at least for the
time being) without understanding the underlying mechanisms.  By the
mechanism that printf uses to accept parameters, it had every reason to
expect that you would pass it a double, but you passed it a long
double.

Incidentally, just so no confusion arises (the use of "you" in the above)
no need to tell me what is wrong, I know (or I would not have posted it),
and no use speaking to the student (he didn't post it here, and is not
reading CLA!)