From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: C++ to Ada Link Problems
Date: 1998/02/27
Date: 1998-02-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

James quoted me as saying

<<Robert Dewar wrote:
 Even if you have to use Ada 83, you will find that it is MUCH easier
 to do this in GNAT, which fully supports Ada 83. Note that there is NO
 portable way of doing what you want AT ALL in Ada 83, so if your
 requirement is to do this in standard Ada 83 in a portable manner, you
 can pack up your tools now, it is impossible. Only Ada 95 begins to
 standardize such interfacing.

 But given that you have to write it in implementation dependent Ada 83,
 you would indeed NOT have a notoriously difficult time of it with GNAT.
 Not only is GNAT far better technically suited to the task, but you would
 get the kind of support from its vendor that you need, instead of having
 to resort to the last-chance-desperation of hoping that someone among the
 dwindling number of knowledgable contributors to Comp.Lang.Ada helps you.
 (the amount of complete nonsense in posts to this group published as if
 by experts who know what they are talking about is alarming, as is the
 decrease in the frequency with which such nonsense posts are corrected).

I wrote this as personal email, which James forwarded to CLA. I sent it
as email because I considered that it had too much of a commercial message
to be appropriate for CLA. No harm done, but I wanted it to be clear what
happened here!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies