From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: I want to use ADA - Turbo Pascal/Delphi guy here
Date: 1998/02/26
Date: 1998-02-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<<On the cheaper side (as in free), GNAT is a good compiler, and I have heard
that there may be some IDE's for it, though I have not used them, and I
would not expect them to be anywhere near as nice as Delphi's front end.

As the Aonix site is quick to inform you, GNAT is not necessarily free,
since to use it with support can actually cost more than using the Aonix
compiler. However, freely available versions of both GNAT and the Aonix
compiler are downloadable at no cost. The public version of GNAT is
very close to a previous commercial version of GNAT, and is a full-language
implementation of Ada 95 with no restrictions. It is unsupported, but for
student use it is certainly quite usable.

Not only are several visual interfaces for GNAT available, but in fact both
the public and commercial versions of GNAT are distributed with AdaGIDE, a
visual interface created by Martin Carlisle at the Airforce Academy.

As for how this compares with Delphi, that's a judgment you can make for
yourself, since as I mentioned before GNAT (and AdaGIDE) are available
for public download (visit the ftp directory pub/gnat at cs.nyu.edu).
Several other visual interfaces, including GRASP and the University of
Brighton IDE are also available.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies