From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Two more AQS-95 questions
Date: 1998/02/05
Date: 1998-02-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<<"Named numbers allow compilers to generate more efficient code than for
constants and to perform more complete error checking at compile time."

I would find it surprising if any compiler generated more efficient
code for the named number case. I mean I suppose you could imagine
a compiler so broken that it would only do constant propagating for
named numbers, but that would sure be surprising. Certainly for GNAT
there is no such advantage, and hypotheisizing such an advantage in
a style guide seems nonsense to me.

For sure, the point about more complete error checking is wrong. Indeed,
this is a case in which there is indeed a difference, but it is the
other way round, a typed constant obviously gives more opportunities for
type checking!