From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Representation clauses and records
Date: 1997/12/18
Date: 1997-12-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David said

<<I've seen other comments that indicate that the runtime cost of a
call to Unchecked_Conversion is going to be a function call of
some sort, and I have just one question: "Why?"

No, you have not seen any such comments (at least I haven't). Probably the
point is that you misinterpreted comments about the semantics. Semantically,
UC *is* a function call, to which a *value* is passed, and a value is
returned (although there is permission to pass and return by reference in
Ada 95).

However, saying t
hat the semantics is that of a function call does not mean that there
will the "runtime cost of a call ...", that is a misunderstanding,
no of course not!