From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: "Dewar's compiler", was Re: Learning Windows 95 programming with Ada?
Date: 1997/12/02
Date: 1997-12-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tom Moran says

<<  There are two different things with the same name here.  "GNAT" as
mentioned by the original poster refers to an old compiler he
possesses that was developed by, but is no longer supported by, ACT,
that runs under MS-DOS.  "GNAT" as mentioned as part of "the way to
proceed" by Dewar I understand to be Windows GNAT, a current product
line of ACT.  If I'm mistaken, and the questioner can in fact use his
existing MS-DOS GNAT along with the Intermetrics bindings to produce
Windows 95 programs, and that is what Robert Dewar was suggesting,
please correct me.

I hate to belabour the issue, but the product I was recommending here
is the generally available intermetrics binding to Win95. I have no
proprietary interest in this product, which as far as I know, works
with all Ada 95 Windows compilers (and I specifically mentioned that
it worked with both GNAT and Object Ada).

Yes, the Intermetrics bindings compete with Claw
Yes, Tom has some kind of interest in Claw
No, Robert has no financial interest in the Intermetrics bindings
No, Robert has no financial interest in Claw
Both Claw, and the Intermetrics bindings work with GNAT

I recommended the Intermetrics bindings because as far as I know there
is no freely available distribution of CLAW, but perhaps I am wrong on
that. If CLAW is now free software, then Tom should correct things.

As for Windows GNAT being a product of ACT, it is most certainly true
that ACT offers commercial support for the Win95/NT version of GNAT,
and we have many customers who pay for this support.

However, public versions of this technology are available for free
downloading at many sites, and I am assuming that this student of
Ada will go the appropriate locations to figure out how to get hold
of the necessary tools to explore further. Note that versions of
Object Ada suitable for this kind of learning are also available
freely, so that is why I mentioned both possibilities. If there are
other Ada compilers for Win95 that are freely available, let me
know, I will include them in my list next time!

Robert Dewar