From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Boolean array representation question
Date: 1997/11/24
Date: 1997-11-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry says

<<> This still misses the point, I'm afraid. Components of an array
> (unpacked) must be independently addressable, so different elements
> of the same array can be concurrently accessed without one task
> affecting the other.

So which is it, independently addressable or independently accessible ?
On an Alpha 21064 these are different values - 8 bits vs 32 bits.

Larry Kilgallen

For most people these terms are identical, but there is no point in
arguing over terminology. Independent here means that separate tasks can
read and write separate elements without intefering with one another. Note
that this means that on the (old) Alpha, a character in a non-packed record
by default takes 32 bits.