From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Easy Beginner Question
Date: 1997/11/18
Date: 1997-11-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Nathan says

<<I just got the Ada compiler for Linux yesterday. I have a very simple
wuestion, please don't flame. I have looked through the Web to find info
for this question. What is the comand to compile and Ada program.

I have tried the WebAda compile but I want to do it on my own system at
my own time, ie not connected to the net.

Sorry to post such a simple question, but any help would be appreciated.

You did not say what compiler you have, but it is reasonable to guess it
is GNAT. This compiler comes with complete documentation, and you should
read the GNAT users guide to answer your question. The first chapter of
this guide is a very simple introduction which leads you through the
answers to your question step by step.

The trouble with trying to replace manuals with random information obtained
on newsgroups etc is precisely that the information is random, i.e. you
get odd disconnected answers which do not give you the full picture of
the capabilities of the system. I know people get used to software like
Powerpoint which is designed to be used without reading documentation,
at least at a simple level, but for a compiler, you really want to learn
the full range of capabilities, and also understand the structure of
the various tools, and reading the documentation is really a requirement
for effective use of the system.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies