* Two GNAT questions
@ 1997-11-13  0:00 John M. Greer
From: John M. Greer @ 1997-11-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Question 1:  Exception traceback

I think somewhere I saw an example of how GNAT was able to trace
exceptions back and report the line in which they were raised.  I looked
in the online manual and everywhere else I could think of, but was unable
to find that feature.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

Question 2:  Is there any way to find/display the parameters of your
current GNAT installation?  Basically, I need to find every directory
GNAT accesses on my machine (Linux ELF).  (In case you're wondering, I
want to compile via NFS, where the NFS'd machine is not sharing my path,
and my root is not his root.  Yeah, it's a lot of trouble, but he's out
of hard drive space.  :-)

John Greer
greerjo@mail.auburn.edu

* Re: Two GNAT questions
@ 1997-11-14  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1997-11-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John M. Greer wrote:

> Question 1:  Exception traceback
>
> I think somewhere I saw an example of how GNAT was able to trace
> exceptions back and report the line in which they were raised.  I looked
> in the online manual and everywhere else I could think of, but was unable
> to find that feature.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

run your executable under gdb (the gnu debugger), set a break on
'__gnat_raise'. then use the gdb 'where' command. See the gnat user
guide topic "using gdb".

> Question 2:  Is there any way to find/display the parameters of your
> current GNAT installation?  Basically, I need to find every directory
> GNAT accesses on my machine (Linux ELF).  (In case you're wondering, I
> want to compile via NFS, where the NFS'd machine is not sharing my path,
> and my root is not his root.  Yeah, it's a lot of trouble, but he's out
> of hard drive space.  :-)

You can try running gnatmake with "-v" and "-gnatv"; see the gnat user
guide for more switches that output useful information.

--
- Stephe

* Re: Two GNAT questions
@ 1997-11-16  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake said

<<run your executable under gdb (the gnu debugger), set a break on
'__gnat_raise'. then use the gdb 'where' command. See the gnat user
guide topic "using gdb".

That is correct advice for older obsolete versions of GDB, but with the
current Ada mode version of GDB, there is a command

break exception [exception name]

command that can be used to achieve this effect more directly

* Re: Two GNAT questions
@ 1997-11-18  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen said

<<Sorry, Robert, but since this question was posted on the newsgroup, I
assumed he was refering to the publicly available GNAT 3.10. That user's
guide makes no mention of "break exception", and on Windows, there is no
Ada aware gdb. The original poster did not mention what OS he was on, so
I assumed the most common (or at least the one I use :).

There is nothing "obsolete" about this version of gdb, since it is the
only one available for this platform!

I was indeed referring to the current version of GNAT, which is 3.11a.
A version based on 3.11 technology will be made public sometime in the
future. But just as you do not assume that the free version of the Aonix
compiler represents the full capability currently available from Aonix,
you should not assume that the public version represents the most up to
date version of the GNAT system. We do make versions of our technology
available publicly, but generally we do this at the end of a development
cycle, so there can be a lag between the current version of GNAT, which
is the version available to customers, and what may be available publicly.
Furthermore, this lag can certainly be different for different versions
of GNAT.

There is certainly no rule on this newsgroup that only freely available
downloadable Ada compilers can be discussed (if there were such a rule,
the words Rational, Verdix etc would appear less frequently :-) :-).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Two GNAT questions
@ 1997-11-18  0:00     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1997-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert said

<<I was indeed referring to the current version of GNAT, which is 3.11a.
A version based on 3.11 technology will be made public sometime in the
future. But just as you do not assume that the free version of the Aonix
compiler represents the full capability currently available from Aonix,
you should not assume that the public version represents the most up to
date version of the GNAT system. We do make versions of our technology
available publicly, but generally we do this at the end of a development
cycle, so there can be a lag between the current version of GNAT, which
is the version available to customers, and what may be available publicly.
Furthermore, this lag can certainly be different for different versions
of GNAT.

In fact, the lag in this case is zero, since the latesty publicly available
version of the GDB patches *does* include the break exception capability.