* Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-10-26  0:00 Eva Pascual Gil
From: Eva Pascual Gil @ 1997-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for a GDB Ada-aware version running under Win32.
Could anyone give any information where to download it?

* Re: Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-10-26  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eva says

<<I am looking for a GDB Ada-aware version running under Win32.
Could anyone give any information where to download it?>>

A bit confused, since Win32 is an API, not an operating system. The current
status of GDB is as follows.

There is a version of the latest Ada aware GDB that works correctly on NT,
but it causes serious termination problems on Win95. We are working on
correcting the Win95 problem (best guess is that Eva was really asking
about Win95), and will release a publicly available vesion when this
problem is solved. The termination problem results in total system
failure, requiring a reboot, on some Win95 systems, so it is something
that needs fixing before release. This is the new GDBTK version which
has a full visual front end (it is similar in style to the Cygnus
GDBTK front end, but we have done substantial enhancement work).

The old GDB for version 3.09 will still work to some reasonable extent
with 3.10p on NT, so you can go and dig that up and build it if you want.

Our intention is that for the NT release, we will include a prebuilt
binary version of GDBTK that will integrate smoothly with AdaGIDE.
This works nicely on NT now, and several of our customers are successfully
using this with 3.10b on NT. SO all that needs to be done is to sort out
this termination problem, and everything should work well. We will make
an announcement here on CLA as soon as this new version of GDB is released.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-11-07  0:00   ` HJRose
From: HJRose @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am also looking for an Ada aware GDB that will run on a SGI  Challenge under
 IRIX 6.x.  Also am looking for the same to run under Linux (x86).  Any help
 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry Rose

* Re: Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-11-07  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry said

<<This Ada-aware version of GDB isn't completely Ada-aware. It can't display
the contents of records under some situations, and seems to be totally
confused by nested procedures/functions. Apparently there's going to be a
major improvement sometime in the not-too-distant future, but only the good
people at ACT could tell you when it might become available (it's apparently
being worked on, but that's all I know).>>

The current version of the Ada aware GDB is 3.16.GNAT.1.16, This version
combined with version 3.11 of GNAT provides very close to complete Ada
awareness and can deal with almost all complex Ada data structures. We
are ironing out kinks in this version now with some major customers,
and we are also putting a lot of work into the new GDBTK visual interface.
The result is indeed a major advance, and as always, will be released
publicly at some time in the future, when it is ready.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

P.S. We have seen no problems even in the older version with nested
procedures/functions, which seem to work fine, so I am not quite sure
what that is about, but in any case, the important point is that there
is indeed major work being done on the debugger.

P.P.S. What is particularly interesting about this new debugger work is
that we still are using absolutely standard "C" encodings in the debugging
output, and yet can fully represent the intricacies of complex Ada data
structures. That's not so easy, these debugging formats were definitely
not designed with Ada in mind :-)

* Re: Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-11-07  0:00     ` Larry Elmore
From: Larry Elmore @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HJRose wrote in message <19971107052100.AAA18483@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>I am also looking for an Ada aware GDB that will run on a SGI  Challenge
under
> IRIX 6.x.  Also am looking for the same to run under Linux (x86).  Any
help
> would be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK, you'll have to get the GDB 4.16 sources, and the latest patch
(gdb-4.16.gnat.1.13.diff.gz) from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/gdb/ and build
it yourself. The instructions with the patch are fairly clear (except they
don't mention that when you patch the gdb 4.16 source, you need to use
the -p0 option) and it's all straightforward after that. It went pretty easy
for me once I figured out the -p0 option when patching, though that might
not be necessary on your setup (though if it is necessary on some, not even
most or all systems, it _really_ should be included in the patch
instructions...).

This Ada-aware version of GDB isn't completely Ada-aware. It can't display
the contents of records under some situations, and seems to be totally
confused by nested procedures/functions. Apparently there's going to be a
major improvement sometime in the not-too-distant future, but only the good
people at ACT could tell you when it might become available (it's apparently
being worked on, but that's all I know).

Larry

* Re: Need GDB Ada aware version
@ 1997-11-09  0:00         ` Larry Elmore
From: Larry Elmore @ 1997-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message ...

>P.S. We have seen no problems even in the older version with nested
>procedures/functions, which seem to work fine, so I am not quite sure
>what that is about, but in any case, the important point is that there
>is indeed major work being done on the debugger.

Well, I _thought_ GDB was probably at fault, though I wasn't certain. I use
the 'ddd 2.1' "X" front-end with 'gdb' and apparently the problem lies with
'ddd'. I did some experimenting and 'ddd' definitely gets _very_ confused by
nested procedures/functions and sometimes crashes. I thought 'ddd' was just
a graphical front-end and shouldn't have much to do with such things, but
apparently there's a lot of assumptions built into it. Since I had 'ddd', I
never bothered to learn to use 'gdb' from the command line, but it looks
like I'll have to. I don't need to use a debugger for Ada programs nearly as
often as with C++, but when I do need to use it, I really need it. Usually
because I've got some misconception about some aspect of the language or am
confusing it with some part of another language.

>P.P.S. What is particularly interesting about this new debugger work is
>that we still are using absolutely standard "C" encodings in the debugging
>output, and yet can fully represent the intricacies of complex Ada data
>structures. That's not so easy, these debugging formats were definitely
>not designed with Ada in mind :-)

That _is_ interesting.

Larry