* GNAT/gnat1: insufficient memory
@ 1997-10-31  0:00 larry.l.stanbery
From: larry.l.stanbery @ 1997-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings:

I was wondering if there are any general suggestions on how to cope with
GNAT giving an "insufficient memory" error.

The scenario:

-- Ada spec and body, with about 60+ separates, each of which has
significant amounts of code.

-- GNAT compiler version (gasp!) 3.05 for DOS:
� -- Running under Win95.
� -- Configured MS-DOS session to 640K conventional memory, 4096K
environment.
� -- Machine has 32M memory, allowing Win95 to allocate virtual memory.

-- GNAT compiler version 3.09 for Win95:
� -- Running Win95.
� -- Machine has 16M memory, allowing Win95 to allocate virtual memory.

Both machines have the same problem -- both bail due to "insufficient
memory".

Running with the "-v" verbose option, I can see that gnat1.exe is the
executable which is running out of memory.

(BTW, the code _does_ compile -- I'm trying to port it to a PC.� It
compiles fine under Apex on a Sun Solaris.)

Any help is greatly appreciated. =)

Larry Stanbery
larry.l.stanbery@cpmx.saic.com

* Re: GNAT/gnat1: insufficient memory
@ 1997-11-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier said

<<A similar experience occured to me: a +/- 100-package program, which
compiles under another compiler, to be ported to GNAT. The versions were
3.04 for win95 and 3.05 for DOS. The problem was much "delayed" using
GNAT for DOS in DOS mode - maybe it could make the difference in your
case. Try GNAT 3.07, too (current ez2load version).>>

3.04 and 3.05 are significantly out of date. 3.07 is more recent, but still
substantially obsolete. There is no reasonably current port of GNAT for
DOS. If you are doing any serious work it is advisable to shift to one
of the operating systems for which more recent ports are available
(OS/2, NT, Win95, Linux, Solaris, to list just those for the PC).
COmmercial support is available for all five of these platforms. The
current product version is 3.10b, shortly to be superceded by 3.11a.
The current public version for all but Solaris is 3.10p. There is still
no public release for Solaris x86 (one will appear eventually, we just
have not had time to do this before Tri-Ada).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies.

* Re: GNAT/gnat1: insufficient memory
@ 1997-11-01  0:00 ` Gautier