From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada 95
Date: 1997/10/29
Date: 1997-10-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John Lindsay <lindsay_j@rmc.ca> writes re GNAT:

>                  This is one of the Gnu compilers, utilities,
> etc., is free to use, and the source code is available.
> But its covered by the Free Software Foundation's famous
> 'copy left' (as opposed to copyright), and one can't use it
> for profit without further arrangements;

I find it a bit surprising that John would be confused in this way. This
is of course quite incorrect. Anyone can use GNAT to build any kind of
programs at all, proprietary, classified etc. There are no restrictions
of any kind placed on programs generated by GNAT, and the runtime is
explicitly licensed in a manner that ensures that no restrictions are
engendered by the use of this runtime.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies