* Re: Language Comparsion  (Ada and Java)
       [not found] <5ukpv3$ih7$1@gte2.gte.net>
@ 1997-09-05  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-09-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ukpv3$ih7$1@gte2.gte.net>, Marla Brown <marlab@gte.net> wrote:

>Can anyone help me?  I writing a paper comparing Ada and Java and I
>need aa metric to compare the languages.  Do anyone know of any metrics
>besides Steelman?  If so, where can I find it.

The most recent issue of Ada letters had such a comparison, by David Wheeler.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

@ 1997-09-07  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-09-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<Can anyone help me?  I writing a paper comparing Ada and Java and I
need aa metric to compare the languages.  Do anyone know of any metrics
besides Steelman?  If so, where can I find it.>>

Steelman is not a metric, it is a requirements document. Yes, you could
use it as a basis of a metric (e.g. what percentage of Steelman requirements
are met by a language), but I am not sure how meaningful that would be.
On the other hand, the idea of using quantitative metrics to compare two
programming languages turns out to be a bit bogus in the first place (never
mind, doing bogus things is often instructive in this context :-)