From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Death of DSP support?
Date: 1997/08/27
Date: 1997-08-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry says

<<It might be a justifiable business reason, from the view of the
employer, if they also cannot hire anyone who _is_ willing to do
Ada.

Regardless of the general job market, it is possible that some
particular employer might not be able to get anyone to do Ada,
depending on how much else is messed up within the company.>>

Sure, decisions get made for all kinds of reasons, though usually people
who say they can't find Ada programmers don't really want to succeed in
the task anyway, and are just using this as an excuse.

Frankly, if I was hiring programmers for any project who decided that they
could not learn a new language when necessary, I would not want them arond
in any case.

What is interesting though, is that this kind of decision method makes
a mockery of the idea of careful technical evaluation of language
possibilities, resulting in the choice of the best possible technical
solution.

Yes, of course we all know that is rubbish, but a remkarable amount of
rhetoric surrounding the mandate issue seems to actually *believe* in
such rubbish!