From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Bounded strings yield huge object files.
Date: 1997/08/27
Date: 1997-08-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bobby says

<<Per the appended example, whenever I instantiate a bounded string my
object file grows by about 140Kbytes.  This holds whether the
instantiation is done within a program or as a separate compilation
unit.  (I find that separately compiled instantiations vary in size by a
few thousand bytes depending on the bound that is specified, but those
sizes that I've tried are all in the 140-150K range.)

Sounds about reasonable for the code of bounded strings with debugging
information included -- of course the majority of this space is the
debugging information, but you must want it if you are generating it
(unless you are simply blissfully unaware :-) :-)