* Language Translators
@ 1997-07-31  0:00 cheryl.coen
From: cheryl.coen @ 1997-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know of any language translators available for the following
languages:  FORTRAN to Ada, JOVIAL to Ada and C to Ada?  I found a few
surfing the net, but the search was not as fruitful as I thought it would
be.  I appreciate any and all responses.

* Re: Language Translators
@ 1997-08-01  0:00 ` Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

cheryl.coen@mailexcite.com wrote:

> Does anybody know of any language translators available for the following
> languages:  FORTRAN to Ada, JOVIAL to Ada and C to Ada?  I found a few
> surfing the net, but the search was not as fruitful as I thought it would
> be.  I appreciate any and all responses.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

If you can compile that C code as C++ then we have a translator that can
convert it to Ada95.  Most C code will compile using a C++ compiler.
When one says Ada I assume that the subject is Ada95 these days.  The
Ada95 produced by our translator might vary from one that produced Ada
from C code; the translation of a struct to an extendible type, for
example.  Those variances would represent the C++ improvements made to
C, so they might be helpful to those who enhance or maintain the Ada
code.

Check out http://home1.gte.net/holmeses/cpp2anf/index.htm for a
description of the translator.  If you're still interested, I would be
happy to provide you with further details, and/or a translation based on
some of your own code.

Brian Holmes
brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com
GTE Government Systems Corporation

* Re: Language Translators
@ 1997-08-01  0:00 ` Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

cheryl.coen@mailexcite.com wrote:

> Does anybody know of any language translators available for the following
> languages:  FORTRAN to Ada, JOVIAL to Ada and C to Ada?  I found a few
> surfing the net, but the search was not as fruitful as I thought it would
> be.  I appreciate any and all responses.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

You might also want to check out the "Catalog of compilers,
interpreters, and other language tools."  The catalog is posted (in five
parts) on comp.compilers, and at http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers.

BGH

* Re: Language Translators
@ 1997-08-02  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian says

<<If you can compile that C code as C++ then we have a translator that can
convert it to Ada95.  Most C code will compile using a C++ compiler.
When one says Ada I assume that the subject is Ada95 these days.  The
Ada95 produced by our translator might vary from one that produced Ada
from C code; the translation of a struct to an extendible type, for
example.  Those variances would represent the C++ improvements made to
C, so they might be helpful to those who enhance or maintain the Ada
code.

I hope you don't translate *all* structs to tagged types, this would be
an inappropriate choice.

* Re: Language Translators
@ 1997-08-05  0:00     ` Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Brian says
>
> <<If you can compile that C code as C++ then we have a translator that can
> convert it to Ada95.  Most C code will compile using a C++ compiler.
> When one says Ada I assume that the subject is Ada95 these days.  The
> Ada95 produced by our translator might vary from one that produced Ada
> from C code; the translation of a struct to an extendible type, for
> example.  Those variances would represent the C++ improvements made to
> C, so they might be helpful to those who enhance or maintain the Ada
> code.
> >>

> I hope you don't translate *all* structs to tagged types, this would be
> an inappropriate choice.

All structs with non-private constructors may be created and extended.
A strict translation would have to support extension for all of those
structs.  The translator cannot make subjective decisions regarding
whether or not a specific struct should or should not be extended.  As
such, a translation based on a tagged type is the appropriate
translation.

We have chosen to base our class and struct translations on controlled
types.  The advantages of such a translation are many, and include
strong support for the translation of constructors and destructors.  The
disadvantages of such a translation include the fact that we will be
unable to limit the creation and extension of all structs and classes in
the same way that a private constructor does.

BGH