From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Generics question
Date: 1997/07/23
Date: 1997-07-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Skip Carter says

<<        I have a computational algorithm that I've implemented that has
        the (admitedly unusual) property that it is perfectly valid for either
        arrays of Integers or arrays of Floats.    As far as I can see I
        CANNOT make a generic version of the package that will work for
        both, e.g.:

        Generic
                Type Element is <something meaning INTEGER or FLOAT subtypes>
                Type DataArray  is Array(Natural  Range<>) of Element;

No problem, just make the generic formal type private, and then require
the user (by default if convenient) to pass in the set of operators you
require, i.e. put statements like

   with "+"(L,R : Element) return Element

That will work fine.