From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Adjust bug? re-post
Date: 1997/07/19
Date: 1997-07-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tom Moran says

<<This test program assigns the 'controlled' result from a function
to a variable.  Two compilers create an intermediate anonymous object
and copy and adjust to it before copying and adjusting to the final
result.  The third compiler does only the final adjust.  Is this
legal according to 7.6(21)?  Making the component 'id' aliased does
not change the behavior.  The result is that the anonymous object
is eventually Finalized without ever having been Initialized or
Adjusted,
with sad results for my program.  Is this a bug in the third compiler,
or a legal (though unfortunate) possibility?

This seems obviously legal, and I don't see why you consider it unfortunate.