* Towards a free GNU Ada
@ 1997-07-03  0:00 James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 1997-07-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Early in the Ada 9X development effort it became clear that one of
the keys to the future acceptance of Ada was the availability of
a very low cost compiler.  This lead to the funding of early
Ada 9X compiler development, resulting in what is now known as
the GNAT compiler.

We can thank the US DoD for the initial funding of GNAT.  We
can also thank the entire GNAT team.  The product of that team is
a truly impressive compiler.

In late 1994 many members of the GNAT development team realized the
DoD funding was limited.  They believed in the viability of Ada and
of GNAT.  They also saw an opportunity for a business.  As a result
they formed ACT.

ACT has taken on a very large and difficult assignment: to maintain
and improve GNAT, providing high quality code free to the public,
while making a profit.  This assignment contains some inherent
contradictions.  One cannot make a profit by giving away the fruits
of one's efforts.  On the other hand, free versions of GNAT must
not cost more than the cost of the media upon which they are
delivered.

I wish ACT great success.  I hope they achieve spectacular profits.
I also still see the need for a free Ada compiler.  This compiler
must be of high quality, passing all applicable validation criteria.
It cannot be a subset or crippled compiler suitable only for simple
demonstration of the potentials of the Ada language.

Perhaps it is time to remove some conflict from the ACT charter.
It seems the only way to do this is to either find a continuing
source of funding for development and maintenance of GNAT, or to
find some alternate group to perform maintenance of a public
version of GNAT, effectively creating a separate version from the
product produced by ACT.

I see a list of possible responses to this problem:

* Use gnat3.09 for a long long time

* Form a consortium of GNAT users, with annual dues which will be
  paid to ACT to provide public support for GNAT

* Abandon the concept of a free Ada compiler and purchase all our
  compilers from AONIX, JANUS, Intermetrics, Rational, ACT, etc

* Organize a distributed group of Ada compiler developers to take
  over development of a free Ada compiler, resulting in a second
  branch of Gnu Ada development.  Such an effort would likely be
  haphazard and uncoordinated, resulting in questionable quality
  and lack of responsibility for compiler defects.

GNAT has helped fuel a renaissance for Ada.  We cannot simply turn
our backs on the newly emerging interest in Ada.  We must continue
to find ways to support and encourage the growth of interest in Ada.

--
Jim Rogers
Team Ada

* Re Towards a free GNU Ada
@ 1997-07-06  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: James Rogers, Prof. Robert Dewar,  et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

James Rogers wrote: (I added the numbering to the suggestions)
Date:    Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:28:20 -0600
From:    James Rogers <jrogers@VELVEETA.APDEV.CS.MCI.COM>
Subject: Towards a free GNU Ada
SNIP
Perhaps it is time to remove some conflict from the ACT charter.
It seems the only way to do this is to either find a continuing
source of funding for development and maintenance of GNAT, or to
find some alternate group to perform maintenance of a public
version of GNAT, effectively creating a separate version from the
product produced by ACT.

I see a list of possible responses to this problem:

1. * Use gnat3.09 for a long long time

2. * Form a consortium of GNAT users, with annual dues which will be
  paid to ACT to provide public support for GNAT

3. * Abandon the concept of a free Ada compiler and purchase all our
  compilers from AONIX, JANUS, Intermetrics, Rational, ACT, etc

4. * Organize a distributed group of Ada compiler developers to take
  over development of a free Ada compiler, resulting in a second
  branch of Gnu Ada development.  Such an effort would likely be
  haphazard and uncoordinated, resulting in questionable quality
  and lack of responsibility for compiler defects.

SNIP to end.
---------------
I favor  suggestion 2.  I suspect that most of the users of GNAT and
Readers of Comp.Lang.Ada also favor suggestion 2.  The main problem is that
ACT is not set up to economically support a large number of users at a low
cost.  In fact, there may be no profitable simple solution to this problem.
 The most cost effective approach is to minimize the need for support by
making the product including its error messages as customer friendly as
possible.

I do believe that the SigAda chapters should assist with the support of Ada
products including GNAT by including a help session as part of their
programs. This has recently been instituted for San Diego SigAda.  This is
absolutely nothing new. The very first microcomputer club I ever attended
had a help session.  Of course, help should be given for any Ada product
where there is someone knowledgable.

I have only one problem with suggestion 2.  I believe that any useful
additions to a compiler that are initially made for GNAT and are NOT funded
by ACT should be copyrighted in a form that they can be used by other Ada
vendors. This includes being incorporated into these vendors commercial
products.  The cost to the other Ada vendors should be the same as that
bourn by ACT.

In short, I believe that we small operators and independent users should
financially reimburse ACT, but at a reasonable price, and in a manner to
maintain competition in the Ada compiler business.

Yours,
Bob Leif

* Re: Towards a free GNU Ada
@ 1997-07-15  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-07-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.
To: Robert Dewar, Ph.D., James Rogers, and Comp.Lang.Ada

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:28:20 -0600
James Rogers posted several suggestions on how to improve GNAT's long term
success.  I supported and still support his second suggestion:

2. * Form a consortium of GNAT users, with annual dues which will be paid
to ACT to provide public support for GNAT.

Robert Dewar has been critical of my suggestions as to how to increase
ACT's revenues.
I suspect that many of us, at present, who use GNAT would like to
compensate ACT. However, ACT's pricing structure is an example of what I
like to call the human nature boolean type, too much or too little.

Robert Dewar quoted me .
Date:    Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:19:18 -0400
From:    Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Towards a free GNU Ada

Bob Leif said

<<
"I have only one problem with suggestion 2.  I believe that any useful
additions to a compiler that are initially made for GNAT and are NOT funded
by ACT should be copyrighted in a form that they can be used by other Ada
vendors. This includes being incorporated into these vendors commercial
products.  The cost to the other Ada vendors should be the same as that
bourn by ACT."

"In short, I believe that we small operators and independent users should
financially reimburse ACT, but at a reasonable price, and in a manner to
maintain competition in the Ada compiler business."

I  feel that my comments speak for themselves.  I will admit that part of
my reason for trying to find a means to compensate ACT was pure
self-interest.  Money talks!  ACT, like the vast majority of companies, has
to put most of its energies into supporting its paying customers.  In the
past, one of the reasons for Ada not achieving the market share it deserves
was the marketing focus on UNIX rather than DOS and now Windows 95.  ACT's
business model appears to be directed to the Work-Station vendors rather
than the mass Windows and, at present, Macintosh market.

I deliberately took my discussion with Professor Dewar off-line.  Firstly,
to clarify the facts and secondly there has been more than enough
extraneous material in Comp.Lang.Ada.
My final private question and comment was: "What is the usage of the
different versions of the GPL including the unmodified GPL by the Academic
community?  I believe that most of us who have reservations about the
unmodified GPL applaud the work by you and others to promote the use of
modified GPLs."

Now concerning my own code and that of my client.  Firstly, I have not
decided what to do with the Generic_Money package which I am creating.  I
do not know whether it will work.  I created it only because I felt that
the code that had to be prepared in a very short time for Object Magazine
(R. C. Leif, T. Moran, and R. Brukardt, "Ada 95, The Language Speaks for
Itself", Object Magazine, Implementation Languages, 7 (3) pp. 32-39, May
(1997) should be redone in a true object oriented manner.

I am forced to use GNAT because the other Ada vendors for Windows have not
completed the Information Systems Annex.  I still believe that one of the
weakest points of all of the Ada compilers that I have used is the error
messages.  I applaud Professor Dewar's suggestions about future
improvements and encouraged him concerning their commercial utility.  I
suspect that the messages from other languages may be worse than Ada's.
However, because Ada finds errors at compile time, problems with error
messages become obvious.

As for my client, the release of the sources is totally the client's
decision.  I actually favor release of source code wherever possible and
have been the most vociferous member of the AdaSage Engineering and
Management Group concerning this subject.  It is an excellent business deal
to give your customers the opportunity to fix and improve your product.
One great commercial advantage of Ada is that there is an excellent,
traditional compromise solution. The package specifications can be
published independently of the bodies and these specifications can serve as
a very important part of the documentation.

Robert C. Leif Ph.D.
Vice President Ada_Med, a Division of Newport Instruments
(619)582-0437

* Re: Towards a free GNU Ada
@ 1997-07-16  0:00 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<I am forced to use GNAT because the other Ada vendors for Windows have not
completed the Information Systems Annex.  I still believe that one of the
weakest points of all of the Ada compilers that I have used is the error
messages.  I applaud Professor Dewar's suggestions about future

A very odd comment, we have received almost no input from you commenting
on specific error messages. To me, GNAT's messages are among the best I
have seen from a compiler, and we put a huge amount of effort into them,
aided greatly by users who submit cases where messages could be improved
(special thanks to Mars Gralia here).

Don't just be a non-constructive complainer!

Send along examples where you think messages can be improved!

<<Robert Dewar has been critical of my suggestions as to how to increase
ACT's revenues.
I suspect that many of us, at present, who use GNAT would like to
compensate ACT. However, ACT's pricing structure is an example of what I
like to call the human nature boolean type, too much or too little.

To run a company like ACT costs well over a million dollars a year, running
any small business is not an inexpensive operation. FOr the kind of support
we provide our customers, the prices we charge are highly competitive.

Yes, I know that people would like to think that they could get full GNAT
support for very modest sums (a while ago someone suggested that ACT should
provide a service where bugs would be fixed for $20 a piece -- enough to
pay for about 15 mins of time -- which of course is way off.

<<2. * Form a consortium of GNAT users, with annual dues which will be paid
to ACT to provide public support for GNAT.

This is not an unreasonable proposal, but our guess is that there are not
enough users, and/or they are not willing to contribute enough, for this
to be worth our while (the conversation I referred to, the $20/bug one,
was enthusiastically followed up by lots of people saying, yes that would
be great!)

The other trouble is that we really work by guaranteeing our customers
a level of support that guarantees success. This is not inexpensive, but
it is worth it to those who need it, and the resulting costs are still
mcuh less than many competing technologies. Any kind of partial low level
support would not meet this goal.

There is also a real danger that serious users would try to get by on
this lower cost partial support, run into troubles, and end up frustrated
at GNAT in particular and Ada 95 in general. This is not a desirable outcome
for anyone.

Furthermore, these days, a great deal of our support activities are not
related to bug fixing, but rather answering peoples questions abo0ut how
to use GNAT and how to use Ada 95. In the context of the large applications
that people are developing, this can be a time consuming and costly operation.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies