From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Towards a free GNU Ada
Date: 1997/07/08
Date: 1997-07-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael Brenner said

<<Michael Brenner: >>Towards a free GNU Ada                     6 Jul 1997 20:06

The part I agree with is that it would be useful to the entire Ada

community to see bugs tracked in public, along with the programs

that failed. The failed programs are actually more useful, because

they can be used to test other baselines. >>

Robert replies

The great majority of programs that we get are proprietary code that
we protect extremely carefully.
Public posting of this code is out of the question.

It would be possible to have some scheme of identifying code that could be posted,
but providing such a public tracking system for all bugs would take a lot
of extra work, and is not somethinfg that we could do unless someone paid for the time involved.

Volunteer help would not useful in this task. Bug tracking requires
very careful management and contro,l, it is not
something that can be done in a haphazard manner.