From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Is GNAT as good as commercial Ada compilers?
Date: 1997/07/05
Date: 1997-07-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Markus said

<<in the near future I will have to work a lot with GNAT on linux. I wonder
if GNAT is comparable to comercial compilers.

RObert notes

And one more thing. GNAT *is* a commercial compiler, in that it is
developed and supported by Ada Core Technologies for commercial users,
many of whom are now successfully using GNAT.

I think you meant "proprietary" here instead of "commercial". GNAT is
very definitely NOT a proprietary compiler, in that it is distributed
as free software with full sourcres, and full redistribution and
modification rights. We see this as a tremendous advantage for
commercial users, who are ensured that they do not have to deal with
problems of "black box" runtimes, and other "secret" components of the
technology they are using.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies