* Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-04  0:00 Tarjei Jensen
From: Tarjei Jensen @ 1997-07-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do anybody know of an Ada compiler for S/390? I know of LegacyAda, but don't
know whether it moves towards Ada 95.

It is just that I suggested that some software could be written in Ada instead
of C++ or Java. The other party claimed that there were no Ada compiler
available for S/390. I knew of OC Systems, but wonder if there are any other
suppliers.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no || fax +47 51 85 87 01 || voice +47 51 85 87 39

* Re: Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-04  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-07-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tarjei said

<<Do anybody know of an Ada compiler for S/390? I know of LegacyAda, but don't
know whether it moves towards Ada 95.

It is just that I suggested that some software could be written in Ada instead
of C++ or Java. The other party claimed that there were no Ada compiler
available for S/390. I knew of OC Systems, but wonder if there are any other
suppliers.

There were several Ada 83 compilers for the IBM mainframes, including
Alsys, Intermetrics, Telesoft, and Systeam. I think only the old Telesoft
compiler, now maintained by OCS is still available.

As far as I know, no one is doing work towards an Ada 95 compiler on the
IBM mainframe. Proabbly the easiest path would be a GNAT port, since there
is a GCC for this system.

Anyway, i suggest you contact OCS to follow this up.

* Re: Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-04  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-07-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5pikv1$4t5$1@ratatosk.uio.no>, tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no (Tarjei Jensen) writes:
> Do anybody know of an Ada compiler for S/390? I know of LegacyAda, but don't
> know whether it moves towards Ada 95.
>
> It is just that I suggested that some software could be written in Ada instead
> of C++ or Java. The other party claimed that there were no Ada compiler
> available for S/390. I knew of OC Systems, but wonder if there are any other
> suppliers.

I am interested as well (although not hopeful).

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-07  0:00   ` Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
From: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz @ 1997-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> There were several Ada 83 compilers for the IBM mainframes, including
> Alsys, Intermetrics, Telesoft, and Systeam. I think only the old Telesoft
> compiler, now maintained by OCS is still available.

AFAIK the IBM compiler is still available. Unfortunately, it *is* Ada
83, not 95.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,
user smetz.

* Re: Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-08  0:00   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1997-07-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.868022058@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>As far as I know, no one is doing work towards an Ada 95 compiler on the
>IBM mainframe. Proabbly the easiest path would be a GNAT port, since there
>is a GCC for this system.

Though GNAT indeed is probably the easiest path, this would involve
considerable work since that GCC port is in very bad shape and is not
even close to the point of being able to bootstrap GCC, let alone GNAT.

* Re: Ada 95 for S/390
@ 1997-07-09  0:00   ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1997-07-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar (dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
: ...
: As far as I know, no one is doing work towards an Ada 95 compiler on the
: IBM mainframe. Proabbly the easiest path would be a GNAT port, since there
: is a GCC for this system.

: Anyway, i suggest you contact OCS to follow this up.

I agree, you should check with OCS.  I recently saw some marketing
literature from them which implied they *were* upgrading their mainframe
Ada product to support Ada 95.  OCS, are you there?

Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA